Composer information on score upload

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

Zeyar Shwe
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Composer information on score upload

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

As an inexperienced uploader I followed the example of previous establish workpages .

For example for Symphony No.9, Op.125 (Beethoven, Ludwig van) the publisher information was given as
{{P|Breitkopf und Härtel||Wiesbaden|1984|||5175}}.

When I used the same format for my upload, I found to my surprise that it was not correct. To give a specific example, for my upload of 4 Sonatas for Harp and Violin, Op.1 (Nicolai, Valentino), I gave the publisher information as {{P|aux adresses ordinaires||Paris|n.d.(ca.1780)|||59}} following the same example that I have cited. But the admin has changed it to {{P||aux adresses ordinaires|Paris|n.d.(ca.1780)|||59}} adding an extra '|' after P and removing a '|' after the publisher name'.

If there has been a change in the format in supplying the publisher information, we should have been told and the admin should have sent a message about it. Since I was not told, I kept using the same format (which we can see it in most of the established workpages) . Then eventually, I got a message from the admin that my uploads were sloppy and he has to correct it every time. That is what I call a fair treatment from an admin.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Re: Composer information on score upload

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

For the upload by someone else VERY RECENTLY, the admin did not change it.
For Trio de salon, Op.27 (Grund, Friedrich Wilhelm), the publisher info was given as {{P|Schuberth & Co.||Hamburg||||1317}} using the same format that I used and the same admin did not see anything wrong with it and did not change it ( He has edited and changed something else, as shown in the history). This is what I call consistency!! . Now I am confused . Will an admin please tell me which format I should use for the publisher info for my future uploads.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The important thing to remember about using the P template is that the first publisher field, the one right after the opening P, should ideally match an actual publisher category. Thus, you would need to use "Breitkopf und Härtel" in that field, and use any variant of the name which actually appears in the scan in the second field. One should likewise put something like "aux addresses ordinaires" (= at the ordinary addresses) in the second publisher field only as it does not actually refer to a publisher. This "aux addresses ordinaires" legend seems to have been a feature of Paris issues fron the 1700s into the early 1800s. The item might have been published (as we would define it today) by the composer and offered at the usual shops in Paris where one would obtain printed music, music paper, etc.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

Thank you very much Carolus. That explains very well about the publisher ' aux adresse ordinaire'. But I am still confused about which form to use for my future uploads-
{{P|aux adresses ordinaires||Paris|n.d.(ca.1780)|||59}} or {{P||aux adresses ordinaires|Paris|n.d.(ca.1780)|||59}} .

I am not talking just about the aux adresses ordinaires only, but general formatting for any publisher.Which of the above two I should use.

I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
Zeyar Shwe
active poster

Post by Zeyar Shwe »

OK. Carolus. Now I think I understand it. So for publishers which are not in the IMSLP publishers list, I put it in the second field, leaving the first field after P empty. Thanks.