George Onslow, trios op. 14: Collections Pages vs. Work Pages

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

azumbrunn
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

George Onslow, trios op. 14: Collections Pages vs. Work Pages

Post by azumbrunn »

This page poses a good opportunity to ask what exactly the rules are as to which scores appear on the collections page and which appear on the individual work pages (if any).
In this case there is no score covering all three piano trios. I'd have thought then that all scores would be posted on the work pages. And indeed they are. But in addition one score for each work also appears on the collections page. It happens to be in every case my typeset--piano part only--which is why I noticed. In other words my typesets (at least the piano parts, the string players still have to go to the work page) are now doubly represented on IMSLP which seems useless to me.
It is also confusing. People who are not familiar with IMSLP (and even many who are familiar I guess) would look at the work page and may well assume that the three files are all scores for these trios which is far from true.
I am not sure we need collections pages but if we do I think scores of individual items from a collection ought to be on the work pages. Even if that means no scores on the collections page. The scores are accessible though the links at the bottom in any case.
BTW that the editor of the thee files was misnamed is a minor oversight and I am not bothered by it. It just adds to the general impression of confusion.
cypressdome
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: George Onslow, trios op. 14: Collections Pages vs. Work Pages

Post by cypressdome »

I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer this but I'd hate for a question from a valuable contributor such as yourself to go unanswered. The files of your edition on the collection page do in fact include both the scores and the parts. This may be the reason that they are the only files on the collection page as my understanding is that the collection page is intended only for complete editions of all the items forming the collection. There is often included on these collection pages a banner that states this (not included on this page however). We appear to be one piano part away from having the entire Steiner edition and it is reasonable to assume that once that is acquired it would be appropriate to edit the collection page to include the Steiner edition. As you point out there are links at the bottom of the collection page pointing to the three individual work pages on which users can find files for each trio. I think one of the main reasons for creating collection pages for Onslow's works and breaking up each collection into work pages for Op.X No.Y is that with multiple editions of each trio/quartet/quintet included in each opus a work page that included every edition of each number within that opus can grow to burdensome lengths and it's a cleaner presentation to have a collection page containing only complete editions and work pages for each number containing the various editions for it alone. Lastly, if your name -- Albrecht Zumbrunn -- is misspelled or misnamed then your category page is as well since the editor link merely links back to that. That can be corrected with some work.