Krommer & Barriere Op.20 String Quartets

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

klossbruhe
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Krommer & Barriere Op.20 String Quartets

Post by klossbruhe »

The viola scan is not the viola part but the violin II part. Hence there is no viola part.
klossbruhe
regular poster

Re: Krommer & Barriere Op.20 String Quartets

Post by klossbruhe »

Turns out that the Sibley Library, UR Research Musical Scores, is the culprit. Their pdf of the viola part is actually the violin II part also.
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

If you could send me the URResearch.rochester.edu url for the errant set of parts I'll see if we have the correct part. The files might have been mis-labeled when they were created. Sorry for the confusion
Jim
klossbruhe
regular poster

Post by klossbruhe »

These quartets may not be opus 20. On the title page, they are clearly marked opus 28. However, I have been unable to find any reference to an Op.28 anywhere else. Furthermore, the supposed keys to the three quartets, according to Wikipedia, are C, F and B flat. However, the keys to the quartets on IMSLP taken from UR are A, F and D flat. Also, IMSLP lists the Sieber plate number as 1991, however the plate number on these quartets is 1994. The Op.20 quartets were published by Andre of Offenbach Plate 1608. Something is obviously wrong.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Definitely a mixture of contradictions and puzzlements.. The actual keys of the files here, as I read them, are (#1) A major, (#2) D (initially in minor, then mostly major), and (#3) A-flat major. A brief, by no means thorough reading of various works lists shows no Krommer string quartet series with that succession of keys.

And then there is a singular British Library listing of op. 20 as being for 2 violins, whereas other listings say op. 2 for these same violin duos. Simple library typo?

And what is the back story for the presumed collaboration between the two composers? Krommer seems to have been an established enough composer that he shouldn't have needed help from somebody else. Political maneuvering?

And why are the quartets listed here under Barriere? Alphabetical choice, B before K?
klossbruhe
regular poster

Post by klossbruhe »

The footnote on Wikipedia to the Op.20 quartets comes from the Dresdenstaats Bibliothek. The listing is as follows Trois Quatuors nouveaux pour deux Violons, Alto et Basse : Oeuvre 20m.

The Andred edition makes no reference to Barriere. The keys listed are C Major, F Major and B flat Major. The information of collab oration which Wikipedia lists was obtained from the UR copy which I believe was mislabeled as Op.20. '

I am pretty sure that the three parts, the viola part being missing, to what is on IMSLP and UR as Op.20 are actually Op.28. If it someone could check the Sieber catalog or perhaps Hoffmeister, the mystery might be solved. I think the Op.20 are an entirely different set of works.

I in the process of trying to get an entire set of parts to the Andre edition of the Op.20, which I hope to have by next month. Meanwhile maybe Eschiss could check Hoffmeister.