Vivaldi violin sonata RV2 in C-Major

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

azumbrunn
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Vivaldi violin sonata RV2 in C-Major

Post by azumbrunn »

I own this sonata in an edition from the old East German Republic ("volkseigener Betrieb" etc...), however it is not identical. Movements one and two in the version posted here are identical. After that follows in the East German edition a lovely Siciliano type movement (missing on IMSLP) followed by the third movement of the IMSLP version. The last movement on IMSLP is included in the East German edition as a single movement (not belonging to this sonata) with unknown authorship (possibly Vivaldi).

The East German version is musically much more convincing: IMSLP marks its third movement andante (in brackets, i.e. added by the editor). If you look at it though it is clear that it is a Gigue; a typical final movement. Played andante the movement becomes much too long for its position--and too boring too.
azumbrunn
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Vivaldi violin sonata RV2 in C-Major

Post by azumbrunn »

I just noticed that the NAXOS disk associated with the work page is based on the "East German" version of the sonata. So everybody can listen to the third movement which is very nicely played on the disk.