K.620 edits blocked

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

rdtennent
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

K.620 edits blocked

Post by rdtennent »

I propose to upload an arrangement for recorders of the March of the Priests. Currently there is only one arrangement of this work (for string quartet). How can I get permission?
rdtennent
forum adept

Re: K.620 edits blocked

Post by rdtennent »

I gave up waiting for a reply and created a new work page for March of the Priests.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

OK the reason for the Magic Flute is blocked is because we already have received too many files on pages like this (due to performance issues with the workpages loading) and us admins have decided to now start blocking these pages from uploading from users freely on these pages and going forward, were only going to be accepting files on a case by case basis, meaning that if you would like to upload to any pages that have a ton of files on them already, your going to have to contact an admin on what your want to upload and why would it be worth having your files on the workpage (as we are the only people who can change the protection status of a workpage from edits). To give you an idea of what is going to be primary, mainly physical scores scanned of a work (things like manuscripts or a big critical edition is primary over everything else) is always going to come first before typesets or synthesized recordings, because we are mainly a Public domain website, this must come first. We can just keep accepting these files made through an engraving and audio software programs easily but they take up too much space easily and is an easy thing to do to create and upload but also starts to dilute these pages with more of these types of files. Going forward, were going to have to go the more difficult route of obtaining scans (including historical live recordings as well, not recent recordings but maybe they will have to be high quality recordings) on workpages like this as those file proposals will be more highly likely to be opened up to users to upload, not synthesized recordings and typesets. Also especially when your only making scores and recordings off of a movement, which also exasperates the amount of files dramatically on these pages, where it would be preferable to have a bigger amount of movements or the whole work in the file itself. So the gist of this is that I know your uploads have mainly been typesets and synthesized recordings you have been uploading to IMSLP (this is probably going to be the last time were probably going to be accepting files like this on these pages), but if you do not have scans or historical recordings to offer to these types of pages, then I am sorry to say were going to have to deny these uploads. I know this is going to slightly limit your options but as I pointed out already IMSLP started mainly as a public domain website and at its core, that is what the website is all about, meaning things that are very old engraved scores or even recordings that are historical and carry far more weight on IMSLP than things that are made in a computer program.

I have moved those files from the Marcia. Sotto voce workpage to K.620 as it is not allowed to have separate movement pages that is directly from the opera itself, they have to be based off the work or a movement but not directly like a fantasia or a potpourri or something of that nature to be a separate workpage. I am sorry to say if I see another case like this from you again, the files will be rejected (even after approval) from IMSLP. We have to keep these workpages going for decades but even hundreds of years from now functioning speaking and if the pages just crash because they cannot open, then files have to be removed to improve performance and not overload the workpages.
rdtennent
forum adept

Post by rdtennent »

Thank you. I thought the original message was exactly a request for permission. I only created a separate work page because I wasn't getting a reply.
Just one clarification: when you say "this is probably going to be the last time were probably going to be accepting files like this on these pages," are you referring specifically to "blocked" pages or any pages at all? Mostly I submit arrangements for recorders of baroque works and have never encountered a blocked page before.