College Advice

Moderator: kcleung

Gesamtkunstwerk
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

College Advice

Post by Gesamtkunstwerk »

I know these forums receive their share of inquiries about college advice, and I apologise for adding to the load, but I am in need of help.

I have learned a lot about the complications in choosing and establishing a substantial career, and I am sure you can empathise with the frustration and difficulty I am having in planning out my future as I enter my sophomore year in high school. I have come to the point in decision-making where I would like to ask for guidance.

I am 15 and an avid composer/violist/pianist (I joined IMSLP recently), and I love to write, orchestrate, catalogue and categorise music, collect and read scores, study music theory, play the viola and piano, read, write (literary) and travel. I am planning on majoring in composition at a music institution and (hopefully) teaching composition at a college/music school. I have looked into different colleges/universities and their entrance requirements, but I was hoping someone might have tips and/or advice on how to be successful in this field. I am taking my future very seriously and doing my best to use a clear-headed, logical approach in planning out my career.

My ambition in college is to study composition, theory, orchestration, conducting and perhaps viola performance, with the goal of possibly becoming a composer, orchestrator, conductor and/or professor of composition and theory. I am putting much effort into increasing my chances of being accepted into a major music school and a career in composition.

I was originally going to work toward an entrance, and hopefully a scholarship, in viola performance with a minor in composition at a music school. Up to now, I have had ample exposure in the performing field of music and very limited exposure in the compositional field. However, I have been considering the possibility of using composition as an alternative to viola performance for college admission. Although I have often heard from several advisors that majoring in viola performance would give me an advantage in getting accepted into a music school and earning a scholarship because of the rarity of good violists, I have also heard that good composers are even rarer, and I am afraid that if I do not start cultivating my compositional skills soon, it would be too late if I decide to use composition to apply for college and establish a career in it. I find composition is the most powerful way I have of releasing my creative expression. However, I fell like I am not getting nearly enough exposure to the field of composition as would be necessary to make it a career. My only guidance to this field so far is the many books I have read and judgements I have received for my few recognised compositions.

I see tremendous potential in myself to excel in the compositional field of study. So far, my participation in one composition competition (in which I placed second out of six contestants from six states who I expect took regular composition lessons) was my first and only outlet for my compositional creativity, and I think it will turn out to be a vital part of my entrance into the compositional field.

I only have three years of high school left during which I need to prepare for admission into a music school. As I see it, there is one best option I can take from now onward: Continue my focus on viola lessons, so that when I get to college, I will major in both composition and viola performance. I am already on track in viola performance from my private viola teacher's guidance in the last few years. I would have a better chance of admission into a good music school and a scholarship if I major in viola performance than other instruments since good violists are sometimes hard to find. However, the field of composition is my main interest and my true passion. Do I really need to use viola performance for entrance into a good music school? I would have to completely focus on viola performance for the next two-to-three years. I am afraid if I do not exercise my compositional skills for the three years I have left in high school, they will eventually weaken, just as I would lose my viola skilss if I did not practice for a long period of time.

If I had to reduce emphasis on the viola and eliminate performance competitions/events to redirect my focus to composition, it would seem like a waste to throw away the work I have done to improve as a violist for a scholarship/entrance in composition. How do the opportunites for a compositional scholarship compare to that in viola performance? Is it too late to get on track for college entrance in composition? I don't want to ruin all chances of getting into a good music school. What (specific) compositional credentials must I have in order to major in composition, and is it possible to get them in the next two-to-three years? I don't have a private composition teacher right now. I know I would be a much better composer if I took regular composition lessons. I also know that many people in this field are more successful than others because they started working toward it at a very early age. Therefore, to have a better chance of success I must start earning recognition for my work as soon as possible. How do I do this quickly?

I know I would not be happy majoring in viola performance and having a minor in composition, or even devoting myself to viola performance and composing on the side (as I was once advised). I cannot convince anyone enough how much composition means to me and that I would never be happy with this plan. However, there are so many unknown risks involved that I need guidance to help me understand what risks are more hazardous than others, so that I will be able to make decisions based on real facts. I do not want to make any rash assumptions that may prove unalterable in the future.

I know I am only 15, but I am afraid that if I do not start taking the right steps early on, I will not get the career for which I am aiming. However, I also have to work with the situation I am in. I am not about to throw away my career in composition when I know that I have so much potential and interest in it. If anyone has any recommendations for steps I could take to fulfill this ambition, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!
BKhon

Re: College Advice

Post by BKhon »

Wow, you sound very similar to the way I used to sound when talking about college. Our interests are very similar (I, too, am a very serious violist and composer). There are several things you can do right now, with your current musical interests. Of course there is the option of a conservatory for viola performance or composition. The best thing you can do with that degree is to become a professor. But my suggestion if the following:

Go to a real university, otherwise you will end up living in a box unless you're lucky (or you could teach private lessons, but that's not exactly the greatest life). Not to be insulting, but the musical world is harsh. I would suggest to get a degree in some sort of musical aspect, probably theory or history, and a degree in liberal arts. So basically double major for a Bachelor degree. Then the best thing you can do, if you want the best career, and what I think would fit you, is to get a degree in Library science.

There aren't too many people in this field right now, and the specific interest in music will probably land you a job in some library and basically be a musicologist/librarian. You said you like to catalog and... basically do what you do in IMSLP for free anyway. You could work at some large public library (NYPL, Philadelphia public library, etc) and deal with a large amount of priceless music manuscripts. Far cry from Europe though, where there is a large music library in practically every major city! On the side, you could always play in some minor symphony orchestra (a country orchestra) and make about $20,000 on the side... assuming there aren't schedule conflicts. If you were really ambitious, you could also compose movie scores (I know.... movie scores aren't exactly the prime for music compared to you know, Brahms or something, but it's a lucrative field). There are several other options as well. If you have any questions, you can always message me privately on the forums. Good luck

BKhon
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I like the fact that you seem very serious about this so early on, but you do have a some time left until you actually start preparing for college (end of junior year) as you did mentioned. One option I can suggest for you is to go to a high school dedicated to the arts. You will have teachers there that will guide you towards a college and career you desire. Many students start studying at these schools when they are at their senior year of high school, so it is not necessarily a four year program.

Just out of curiosity, if you do not mind me asking, how important are your academics in relation to all of this?
BKhon wrote:If you were really ambitious, you could also compose movie scores (I know.... movie scores aren't exactly the prime for music compared to you know, Brahms or something, but it's a lucrative field).
I wouldn't look so down upon film composing though. Remember, Saint-Saens, Shostakovich, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Copland, Malcolm Arnold and many other top-line composers who lived during the 20th century composed for movies.

Regards
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Not to get off topic (breaking rule number 8A), but just because top-line composers wrote for movies doesn't mean the pieces are great. Generally they are one dimensional and meant for effect, rather than musicality .

But, more on topic. You have plenty of time to decide best suits you. If you chose a field not many people are, and something very specific (like baroque musicology or something), you will eventually end up in the top of the field if you follow it long enough. Eventually everyone's going to die and retire (I kid, I kid). But it's my suggestion to not ignore academics, in case your interests change. A lot of people ignore academics thinking they don't need, change their interests, and end up living in a box (an exaggeration). In reality, making about $15,000 a year (I know several people in this mess right now). Of course you could end up lucky and make $250,000 plus a year, or even millions and end up like Gergiev or Hillary Hahn or someone!

In closing, focus on academics. It's usually a better idea to go into some academic field of music (Professor, musicology [maybe], librarian ship [my suggestion], or something else) rather than a performance field (i.e. Quartets, symphony orchestra, conducting, etc). Good luck,

BKhon
Gesamtkunstwerk

Post by Gesamtkunstwerk »

Thank you for all of your advice.
BKhon wrote:Just out of curiosity, if you do not mind me asking, how important are your academics in relation to all of this?
I am making an effort to maintain good grades in case I decide to attend a university that requires a good academic standing for entrance, and I agree that it is safer to keep up academics (it is difficult to balance desire and practicality!). After all, I am hoping to become a professor, and I like the idea of librarianship very much, although I might be interested in performing/conducting on the side.
BKhon wrote:If you were really ambitious, you could also compose movie scores (I know.... movie scores aren't exactly the prime for music compared to you know, Brahms or something, but it's a lucrative field).
I actually considered eventually becoming a film composer for some time (I was inspired to make this my first real career goal since age 11, mainly by John Williams’ music). Even though I don’t know much about the field, at some point I would like to orchestrate film scores, perhaps as a predecessor to full-fledged film composing. My ambition (if it is realistic enough) is to compose different styles of music, but naturally my first priority is to get a position and recognition! I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Again, thank you so much! Your feedback was very helpful.