Moderator: kcleung

Contratrombone64
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Spring cleaning ...

Post by Contratrombone64 »

G'day

One of the great things about having this music available at the click of a mouse is that I'm now seriously considering getting rid of all my old scores (mostly pocket ones, but quite a few Dover), hence "decluttering" my living space.

Anyone else thought seriously about this?

Obviously my expensive 20th century score I'll hold onto (Hindemith, Bax, Sculthorpe and so forth)
BKhon

Re: Spring cleaning ...

Post by BKhon »

You can always donate the scores to a library, or mail them to someone, instead of throwing them away :). I don't know if I agree though... I think it's always nice to have physical scores.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

If you're just going to have to print every time you need to use one, then it's a waste of paper. :(
bsteltz
Contratrombone64
active poster

Post by Contratrombone64 »

No need - read them all off my laptop, no printing required.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

You can always mail them to a friend or donate them to a library! I would hate to see perfectly good scores be thrown away :-(
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Donate them to a library, especially an amateur or community music organization or similar not-for-profit.

Sell them on eBay.

Keep an eye/ ear out for financially challenged music students who need printed copies of music because of their educational institution's "copyright" rules.

Just a few ideas.

Don't throw out perfectly good scores! My "inner librarian" is emotionally traumatised by the very thought.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Jay

Post by Jay »

Contratrombone64 wrote:G'day

One of the great things about having this music available at the click of a mouse is that I'm now seriously considering getting rid of all my old scores (mostly pocket ones, but quite a few Dover), hence "decluttering" my living space.

Anyone else thought seriously about this?

Obviously my expensive 20th century score I'll hold onto (Hindemith, Bax, Sculthorpe and so forth)

What are you specifically getting rid of? I collect various works my house has room. If not I'll find someone else's house to store it in. I don't trust the notion of staring at a lit screen and don't intend to assume my eyes are designed for this for the next 40 years. I like tangible items. I like the smell of an old tome or a score that's "been around the block" with it's war scars being at one time the only source before our world got cluttered with binary.

No, I'm not bitter :P