Anchors

Moderator: kcleung

Robert.Allen
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Anchors

Post by Robert.Allen »

Is there a way to create a permanent link target to a particular publication on a work page? I would like to link from the Wikipedia to a particular Busoni publication which (because it is an arrangement) now appears on a work page with a very large number of other publications. Section titles tend to get renamed and rearranged, so they are not very permanent, and sometimes they are not unique. Also sometimes there is more than one Busoni publication on a given work page, e.g., transcriptions of different etudes by Chopin, and one might like to be able to link to a specific one. The Wikipedia has the template called "Anchor". Is there anything similar for IMSLP?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Anchors

Post by KGill »

There's no template, but there is something that may work just as well. It is possible to link directly to an IMSLP# - just attach #xxxxx to the end of a workpage's URL. For example, http://imslp.org/wiki/Rivincita_-_Strin ... IMSLP30000 points directly to the score file on that page (which happens to be #30000), not merely the page itself. You can also search for an IMSLP# through the regular search box, using the 'IMSLP#' button instead of 'General search' - this will give you a URL in that format.
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Thanks for the suggestion. The main problem with this approach is that direct links to the pdf files does not allow for the addition of new or more complete scans of specific publications, or access to the descriptive information about the source of a particular scan, the publication data (bibliographic info), and miscellaneous notes.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

What I meant was actually not that it directly opens the PDF file, but that it links specifically to the place on the page where that PDF is linked to (i.e., the file entry). Therefore, it does allow one to see all the publisher information and so forth. The addition of new scans of specific publications is an eventuality that AFAIK is not currently possible/practical to automatically predict and prepare for - sorry...
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Now I see. If I had followed your link I would have seen how it works (Sorry, for jumping to the wrong conclusion!). I think this will do very well. Thanks for all the help and feedback. Robert
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

This does not seem to work for wikilinks within IMSLP. Is there any way to get it to work in that case, other than linking to subsection headings? Or can one format the link like an external link?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you - it worked for me at least, using the following (example) syntax: [[Rivincita - String Quartet No.1 (Derecskei, András)#IMSLP30000]]. You could format it like an external link, but I don't think it would be necessary to.
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Hi, Thank you! I'm getting it to work now. Not sure what I was doing wrong before. I really appreciate all your help! Robert