Web pages that "block" your back arrow

Moderator: kcleung

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Web pages that "block" your back arrow

Post by coulonnus »

Some web pages cause your browser to ignore the back arrow when you want to come back to the previous page that had a link to them. Example http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Other_music_score_websites and click on Extensive list at Pianopassion.com
Can anybody technically explain what happen? Is there a workaround with the most common browsers? Otherwise this "trick" should be forbidden! :evil:
haydenmuhl
active poster

Re: Web pages that "block" your back arrow

Post by haydenmuhl »

I do not see this problem using Chrome on Ubuntu, but I do know what you are talking about. This sometimes happens when there is an intermediate page that redirects you. When you press the back button, you hit the redirect page, which takes you to the page you were trying to "back" away from. Sometimes double clicking the back button will do the trick.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks. It works with some specific rythmic patterns of mouse clicks. :-) When I go to the WIMA or Acadia page and move my cursor on the back arrow without clicking I see a banner with the imslp page. But when I go to Pianopassion I see sort of a Google search address - hard to see - and I believe this Google search has this Pianopassion page as only result. It seems that if I click again while Google "thinks" I obtain a priority and can obtain the imslp page. :-)
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

What browser are you using? I just tried this on Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and none of them had any problems going back to IMSLP from Pianopassion.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Internet explorer, Firefox and Flock. Lynx (text-mode browser) works fine. I reproduced the problem with a Google search that finds the Pianopassion page. So I'm sure the imslp website page is'nt the culprit! :-)
schy0007

Post by schy0007 »

haydenmuhl wrote:What browser are you using? I just tried this on Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and none of them had any problems going back to IMSLP from Pianopassion.

Same here I did not found any problem. All of them are working well without any problem. Perhaps it was the Operating Systems problem.