Moderator: kcleung

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Public domain video

Post by horndude77 »

http://www.archive.org/details/malamud_ ... 07_lecture

I came across this video and found it quite interesting what he is doing. His organization acquires (i.e. buys) public domain materials (mostly US government documents) and then redistributes them free of charge. In one scheme used to finance this endeavour he had a "store" where an item when purchased by one person would then be available freely to everyone else. (From the video I get the impression that he stopped using this method.)

I could see parallels with what IMSLP is doing. Before the hiatus IMSLP was gathering steam and becoming a large resource as we all know, but I'm sure that this will slow down at some point and might require a boost of some sort (We should plot the growth curve when it's back up. I'm thinking it should fit this pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_curve). I'm fairly sure this won't happen for a few years, but it's interesting to think about.

If IMSLP does end up under a larger organization would there be money available to do something similar? (buy scores and pay for digitization) From what I understand there are still a few options on the table for how IMSLP will be resurrected, but this could be a big win for both IMSLP in terms of scores and the supporting organization in terms of donations.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I have a feeling the fall won't be too bad. A lot of people (I think) tend not to d/l files and organise them on there computer. A lot use IMSLP to organise, and view the PDFs when required on on the website rather than on there computer. After all, why organise when it is already done, and well. Of course there is a limit, and it is almost sure to at the very least rise much slower.

And I do agree, a little in the future, discussion should be for something new, a sister project, PD recordings, something to make IMSLP new and fresh. It may be a (sort-of - though not really) NFPOrg, but we can still market a little like a company that wants money, however we want to just make the place better as opposed to money.