Cherkassky/Petrouchka

Moderator: kcleung

HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Cherkassky/Petrouchka

Post by HonkyTonk »

Shura Cherkassky made several recordings of Stravinsky's piano solo transcription of the Petrouchka ballet but there was a recording in the days of vinyl (available,as I recall in the 1960s) in which he played the concertante piano part in the orchestral score. Does anybody know with which orchestra/ conductor this was made and, perhaps, the company that issued it? Has it ever been re-issued on cd?
jossuk
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Cherkassky/Petrouchka

Post by jossuk »

The BBC Proms archive listing for 1961 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/sear ... st-26/7275) shows Cherkassky as having played the 1947 version with the London Symphony Orchestra under Bryan Balkwill. Don't know whether that might have been recorded.
HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Cherkassky/Petrouchka

Post by HonkyTonk »

I didn't know that and it's very interesting but I think the version issued commercially was a studio recording. I imagine the conductor would have had to have been rather more famous than Bryan Balkwill in order to attract buyers to a recording as I don't think that Cherkassky's presence alone was quite a big-enough selling point back in the early 60s. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.