Just want to say Hello!

Moderator: kcleung

Sanft
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Just want to say Hello!

Post by Sanft »

Hi! I'm a newbee here although I've already contributed to the IMSLP (songs by F. Kuecken and chamber music by Carl Blum). I'm a guitarist and music teacher from Germany and just love opera. Any Britten fans here?
… el niño que soñó la musica
Last edited by Sanft on Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
… el niño que soñó la musica
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Welcome!
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Well I'm not exactly a fan of Britten but I do love his Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (a must for new music students) and Courtly Dances from Gloriana.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Welcome!

[q]Well I'm not exactly a fan of Britten but I do love his Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (a must for new music students) and Courtly Dances from Gloriana.[/q]*cough*Purcell's melody*xough*

My uni did midsummer's last year.
Crystalviolin

Post by Crystalviolin »

Just want to say Hello!
Hi. Nice to meet you.
danielsanbebe

Post by danielsanbebe »

heheheh after what ive read in a few posts i can tell the peoples hre are real real REAL pros at music, like conductors or professionals. is there any undergraduate, non super expert here, like me?
Please say there is, or ill be scared!
"A man in the audience while the applause was taking place after Chopin played his Nocturne Op. 15 No. 3, talking to his companions, "hats off gentlemen; we are in front of a genious"".
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

danielsanbebe wrote:heheheh after what ive read in a few posts i can tell the peoples hre are real real REAL pros at music, like conductors or professionals. is there any undergraduate, non super expert here, like me?
Haha, no fears. I'm just an amateur... my formal training ended with high school, though I still play frequently in community groups.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

heheheh after what ive read in a few posts i can tell the peoples hre are real real REAL pros at music, like conductors or professionals. is there any undergraduate, non super expert here, like me?
I'm definitely an amateur too - the only time I have set foot in a Conservatorium is to do music exams.

We need to encourage more amateurs to get involved and keep doing music - too many people have the impression that music (especially classical) is only for a gifted few and the rest of us shouldn't even try because we don't have what it takes.

"The forest would be a very quiet place if only those birds sang, who sang the best!" (author unknown).

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
danielsanbebe

Post by danielsanbebe »

aldona wrote:
I'm definitely an amateur too - the only time I have set foot in a Conservatorium is to do music exams.

We need to encourage more amateurs to get involved and keep doing music - too many people have the impression that music (especially classical) is only for a gifted few and the rest of us shouldn't even try because we don't have what it takes.

"The forest would be a very quiet place if only those birds sang, who sang the best!" (author unknown).

Aldona
ur incredibly right! seriously! it wud take a worldwide campaign to do so, but it wud sur be worth it. music has to be played by everyone who feels like doing it. it still exists to show the own feeling of the interpreter, so there is no universally "better" or "worse". what is amazing for other, for me it cant be, and viceversa.

a wonderful, WONDERFUL quote u input in ur message =)
"A man in the audience while the applause was taking place after Chopin played his Nocturne Op. 15 No. 3, talking to his companions, "hats off gentlemen; we are in front of a genious"".
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'm not acting as a mod or admin when I say this, but can you please type properly? Type you 'u' and 'wud' into 'you' and 'would'? This isn't a chatroom or msn and you do have the time to formulate your posts into coherent English.
danielsanbebe

Post by danielsanbebe »

Oh my God, dont tell me you also hate the internet jargon! It´s like the latest trend! Even my violin teacher uses it! I don´t consider it to be wrong, nor a misuse of language. I simply consider it to be a way of abbreviating, making absolutely clear what I mean when using them. It is actually VERY common to see internet jargon, including "formal" abbreviations nowadays, even in this very forum. Why stigmatize? Its kinda (sorry, kind of) like stopping evolution.

Listen to some Jazz too, or some other music; sometimes the musicians play a bit off key. But, havent you?

Was just voicin my opinion, as im sure im entitled to it.
Sebastian
regular poster

Post by Sebastian »

The latest trend? Writing "u" instead of "you" and so on is nothing new. And claiming it's evolution is quite a theory ;-). There have always been people who didn't care about proper spelling and grammar. For informal sms and chat between friends it's fine, but in a forum like this it's a different matter. Depending on who reads it, it can be interpreted in different ways, e.g. as a sign of illiteracy or impudence. It gives the impression that the author is immature and careless and won't bother to type a few extra letters to make the text more readable.

Have you ever been annoyed by people writing in completely broken engrish, unintelligible slang, leetspeak (13375933|<), ALL CAPS, aLtErNaTiNg CaSe etc.? Or been at a classical concert where someone is talking while the musicians are playing or clapping between movements? It's a bit like that.

You could argue, as you do, that it's not necessarily a misuse of language. Like blue/off-key notes are a part of jazz. That is, in the right context it might be completely acceptable, or even required. But just like blue notes belong in jazz and not in classical, baroque etc. music, the use of "u" etc. doesn't belong everywhere. Which you will learn the hard way if you ever write that in a job application.

Of course you are entitled to voice your opinion. Which you did quite nicely, showing that you are indeed able to write proper English. We are not angry old men who curse and shout every time someone uses one kind of internet jargon or another ;-). We just prefer that people make an effort to make it easy to understand what they're writing. For the above mentioned reasons and many more.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

I would also like to mention that not everybody on this forum is a native speaker of English. Words like "ur" and "wud" are not found in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. (By the way, according to Merriam-Webster, "wud" is a chiefly Scottish variant of the adjective "wood", meaning "insane, mad".) While presumably intuitive for the native speaker, such words might well be unintelligible for the beginner.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

I would add that "u" could be short for either "you" or "ewe," and therefore would require the reader to invoke context to clarify the matter, while using the full spelling would not.

<rant on>

This text-message-style spelling in English is completely inappropriate for this kind of communication environment (a public forum with many participants who do not have English as their first language). My inclination is to simply skip such postings.

<rant off>
danielsanbebe

Post by danielsanbebe »

Woooot, controversy!!!! :roll: (just kidding).

To make myself clearer, I will state why am I so into the use of given typing, I formerly participated in a forum for an internet video game, and of course at the beginning I would write all formally and stuff (I am actually nearly a geek at school when it comes to linguistics), and I got "yelled at" for speaking like this. Therefore, the transition came and blah blah blah. It´s not like it makes me suffer to write like this, or whatever, mind you.

I had gotten the point upon reading Yagain Kiely´s post and writing my own; I was just mouthing some humor into the thing, as not to feel too "yelled at" and sad :wink: . It´s "all cool" (quoted) ladies and gentlemen. I, for one, will need to get reused to typing appropriately (actually i have had to correct myself some ten times while writing this current post).

P.S. Are idioms also restricted? If I dare say a real life closing for a conversation?

P.S.S. This is an absolutely wud post (as dear mister Leonard Vertighel cared to define) :lol: Thanks for the aclarations, dudes (dear counterparts).

Peace out! Mwhahahahahaha!