Gara Garayev - Azerbaijani March

Requests for works who died less than 50 years ago and were first published more than 95 years ago.

Moderators: Carolus, Sallen112, cypressdome, Copyright Reviewers

nleininger
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Gara Garayev - Azerbaijani March

Post by nleininger »

This work is not one of the several works of his that Schirmer gobbled up from Muzgiz. Furthermore, it is available as a part of the collection "Новые марши советских композиторов для духового оркестра" on the Russian National Electronic Library (NEB): https://rusneb.ru/catalog/000200_000018 ... GIT_92507/. NEB says that downloads are only offered on works that have become part of the public domain.

I would like to upload the original parts and a modern edition that I have prepared for standard US wind band instrumentation.
jossuk
active poster

Re: Gara Garayev - Azerbaijani March

Post by jossuk »

At this moment that link does not connect...
nleininger

Post by nleininger »

jossuk wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:29 am At this moment that link does not connect...
I've tried on a couple of different devices, and it's working on my end. Not sure why it isn't working for you.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

You must have a magic touch, as the link now connects; thanks...
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

How the hell did you access the workpage creation page for this composer?? This is something only admins like us are suppose to keep under lock and key since the composer is under copyright in life + 50 and 70 year countries currently. I do not even see an edit made to the category page so how did you get past this??
nleininger

Post by nleininger »

Sallen112 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 amHow the hell did you access the workpage creation page for this composer?? This is something only admins like us are suppose to keep under lock and key since the composer is under copyright in life + 50 and 70 year countries currently. I do not even see an edit made to the category page so how did you get past this??
I'm honestly not sure how to retrace my steps there :oops:

I do realize that the composer is under copyright, but since this march was published without a copyright notice between 1925 and 1977 (specifically, 1947 although the composition date I have seen most frequently is 1943 - I can't find an earlier publication of the march) and is now public domain in the source country (published in Moscow, public domain in the Russian Federation), my understanding of US copyright law is that the work is in the public domain at least in the US even if it is not in the EU/Canada. It also is not one of the works by Garayev now controlled in the US by G. Schirmer, and it's not on this list of the works they assert copyright over: https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/docti ... ?V8001P642

Also, the Russian National Electronic Library is operated by the Russian State Library - it's not a random website offering questionable scores.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The work in question might be free in the USA due to failure to file an NIE - it's certainly under copyright elsewhere though. It's not among the small number of Garayev works for which NIEs were filed. Also, Garayev is an interesting case where the Azerbaijani copyright agency has reclaimed the rights for this composer from Schirmer in the USA. We were glad to be of help with this and thanks to the hard work of the Azerbaijani Natioanl Library royalties are hopefully now going to the composer's heirs where they belong. We have posted a request about this work with ANL so this could become available once we have a reply. It would likely be under a Performance restricted license or one of the more restrictive Creative Commons licenses if the permission is granted.