Bass Clef in Violin Score

Moderator: kcleung

Rômulo Mello
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bass Clef in Violin Score

Post by Rômulo Mello »

Recently I was checking some manuscripts from chalumeau soloist pieces in IMSLP.... I came across the Chalumeau Concerto FaWV L:B1 by J. S. Fasch, there wasn't a holograph manuscript avaible but there were copies from the 18th century. On the second violin part, second movement, the standard treble clef gets suddenly replaced by a bass clef after a tutti. Note that this not happened only to the second violin but also to the viola. This is not a cue, as during this section the continuo part doesn't play anything. The bass clef section lasts eight measures and makes the violin go all the way down to Bb2. If anyone has an explanation for this, I would be very happy.

Chalumeau Concerto - J. S. Fasch -- https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usim ... c_L_B1.pdf (page 19)
Attachments
Capturar.PNG
Capturar.PNG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 5745 times
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Bass Clef in Violin Score

Post by panda »

This notation is quite common in Baroque music when the violin player is playing a bass part. It was played an octave higher than notated.
Rômulo Mello
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Bass Clef in Violin Score

Post by Rômulo Mello »

panda wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 pm This notation is quite common in Baroque music when the violin player is playing a bass part. It was played an octave higher than notated.
Oh, I understand. Thanks for the explanation!