none
74%

Total votes: 19

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

While we probably wouldn't consider a computer keyboard a chair, what about a rock?
Bad analogy. A rock still containt very similar characteristics to a chair, a piece for Piano and Voice bears no resemblance. If you heard that piece, and didn't know it's name, obviously you'd know it was a symphony right?
I think you just made my argument for me
I didn't because I said it is a general definition, exactly all the examples you gave fit into 'general'. When a piece for (lets take it even more to an extreme), 'couch and paper-clip' there is no general aesthetic principals or musical similarities to a symphony, but under your absence of a definition, it is, or at least can be.
Is it still a symphony if it has been arranged for piano?
No, it's an arrangement of a symphony...
Seriously though, what about works that include chorus? Or a quasi-soloist like an Organ? Are some of Mozart's and Haydn's early symphonies for orchestra, or can an orchestra have no flutes, no clarinets, no trumpets, no timpani? Can it include a continuo part? Can an orchestra be just Strings, or does it need some woodwind, or brass? What about a concert band, can they play symphonies too?
They all still contain strong characteristics of a symphony.
We both obviously have very different ideas of what a symphony is, so why does one of us need to be right?
Because one is destroying definitions, making the whole point of a definition obsolete and deliberately confusing language just for some extra-musical or conceptual
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Yagan Kiely wrote:Bad analogy. A rock still containt very similar characteristics to a chair, a piece for Piano and Voice bears no resemblance. If you heard that piece, and didn't know it's name, obviously you'd know it was a symphony right?
Bears no resemblance to what? Are you telling me that you would be able to tell the difference between a tone poem and a symphony just by listening to it? How about an arrangement of say, the last movement of Mahler's 4th symphony for voice and piano, and a song for voice and piano? Would you be able to tell which was the symphony there? Is any piece for symphony orchestra now a symphony under your definition? You seem to have cracked open the definition here far wider than I had. And I'm not really sure what the point of your ire is, do you really think that one piece for an unusual instrumentation and given the title of symphony has somehow destroyed the concept of the symphony as a whole? You are free to define a symphony however you like, but please do not attempt to fashion my definition of a symphony for me.

You seem to be getting awfully angry and are frequently misinterpreting what I am trying to say here. I am not claiming that there is somehow an absence of definitions here, only that they are more complicated than you want them to be and are constantly evolving. We as human beings have gotten along just fine for tens of thousands of years with a constantly evolving, amorphous system of communication that we call language. The evolution of language is not chaotic, but it does happen, and sometimes it happens over a very short timescale. And with the rapid dissemination of information that we have seen come about in our own lifetimes with the advent of the internet, the rate of evolution of language is only going to increase, and I for one see this as a great thing. You're just going to have to get used to it, you simply have no right to tell any other composer that what they have labeled a symphony is not, and this is not characteristic of the destruction of language, but a celebration of its most important quality, its flexibility.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Bears no resemblance to what? Are you telling me that you would be able to tell the difference between a tone poem and a symphony just by listening to it?
A tone poem is almost a symphony, are are also called 'symphonic poems'. What has an arrangement got to to with a symphony? It is an arrangement, and thus not the same piece.
symphony under your definition?
I never defined it, where are you getting that from?
You seem to have cracked open the definition here far wider than I had.
From absolutely anything to a few possibilities? Yes mine is much wider.
title of symphony has somehow destroyed the concept of the symphony as a whole?
When did I say that? Defining a word as 'anything' is the opposite of newspeak and more destructive. It brings complete confusion and chaos to any musical word. I am all for the evolution of words (after all that's how languages work), but to completely ignore the concept of a definition counter-productive to say the least. There is no logical, conceptual, or extra-musical reason to cause such unneeded confusion and call a piece for couch and paper-clip a symphony. There are abstract words there for you to use, why hijack a useful word and destroy it's meaning?
I am not claiming that there is somehow an absence of definitions here, only that they are more complicated than you want them to be and are constantly evolving.
Actually what you are doing is simplifying the definition, not making it more complex. I never said you are 'claiming' n absence of definitions, but that is what you are doing regardless of can see it or not.
We as human beings have gotten along just fine for tens of thousands of years with a constantly evolving, amorphous system of communication that we call language.
Oh you did bring it up. Yes, I agree (as I said earlier), but what this is isn't evolution. Evolution would be to, slowly change the meaning of it and develop it into another definition, to describe a symphony as anything the composer wants isn't evolution and is destructive to the natural evolution of language.
You're just going to have to get used to it, you simply have no right to tell any other composer that what they have labeled a symphony is not, and this is not characteristic of the destruction of language, but a celebration of its most important quality, its flexibility.
It isn't flexible, because that word that can mean anything has no definition. A word with no definition is pointless and is just sounds with no connection to meaning. Calling it blijknag is just as useful and just as meaningful. There are no words in the English language that I know of which has a definition of anything (apart from 'anything').

Also, if you read before I did say that 'The difference is, that the meaning changed to something else, now it is changing to be anything' which means that I do support evolution of language, so I am not going to have to 'get used to it' as I already support natural evolution of language.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I also fully support the flexibility of a term, I am toying with the idea of writing a Song Cycle for orchestra and calling it a Symphony (most likely a more detailed name though). I shall also arrange it for Piano and voice, I'd probably keep the same title, but only because it is an arrangement of a symphony, it isn't the piece. The difference is, it still has strong aesthetic and musical characteristics of a symphony, a piece for couch and paper-clip does not.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

You still just don't seem to be getting what I am trying to say, and after this post I am just not going to bother trying anymore. It's obvious that you still have a lot to learn about language and meaning as you still seem to be under the mistaken impression that words and definitions are somehow fixed. Have you ever actually tried reading the definitions of words in a dictionary, several dictionarys, even different editions of the same dictionary? You'll be amazed at the differences. Vonnegut has an extremely amusing short story about doing this.

It's also interesting that you decide to dismiss my own earlier analogy, and then introduce this little couch and paper clip one. A bit of a stretch from Ms. Ustvolskaya's piece don't ya think?

I just don't see how it is useful to you to dismiss entire classes of works simply by the coincidence of their title and their instrumentation. That seems a bit daft.

I'm tired of arguing with someone who refuses to refine their thinking. When you have done some reading on the philosophy of language maybe we can continue this conversation in a more civilized manner off forum, but for now I'm tired of being accused of destroying language simply because I want you to try to examine why these pieces (if you ever really had any specific pieces in mind) would call them symphonies, and to use that inquiry to inform your own writing or performing. There is a learning opportunity here that you are simply choosing to ignore to your own detriment.

It would be nice to see some other views in this thread though. I know you're out there!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You still just don't seem to be getting what I am trying to say, and after this post I am just not going to bother trying anymore.
If I am the one guilty of this, how come you have ignored my numerous statements of support for flexibility and evolution?
It's obvious that you still have a lot to learn about language and meaning as you still seem to be under the mistaken impression that words and definitions are somehow fixed. Have you ever actually tried reading the definitions of words in a dictionary, several dictionarys, even different editions of the same dictionary? You'll be amazed at the differences.
Vonnegut even has an extremely amusing short story about doing this.
Please stop with the ad hominem attacks, they aren't useful and merely make it look like you have run out of ideas. I have constantly said that I support the natural and constant evolution of language, I've stated that there is never an extremely specific definition of the 'symphony', I have never stated or suggested that language is fixed. I challenge you to fine anywhere in my posts that I say it.
A bit of a stretch from Ms. Ustvolskaya's piece don't ya think?
It wasn't an analogy, it was taking the same idea further. Yours was an analogy because it used a chair vs. rock. Mine still was the original comparison but stretched. Yours was a bad analogy because it compared a rock with a chair, but of which (may) contain similar functional characteristic, a Symphony and a Piece for Trumpet, Tam-tam, Contralto and Piano have none of the equivalent characteristics that a Rock and a Chair have in common, the only musical similarities between the two is that they both are music, much like a rock and a chair are both objects.
I just don't see how it is useful to you to dismiss entire classes of works simply by the coincidence of their title and their instrumentation.
Please post where I said I dismissed the music. Please don't put words in my mouth (posts?) that I have never, and never would say.
I'm tired of arguing with someone who refuses to refine their thinking. When you have done some reading on the philosophy of language maybe we can continue this conversation in a more civilized manner off forum, but for now I'm tired of being accused of destroying language simply because I want you to try to examine why these pieces (if you ever really had any specific pieces in mind) would call them symphonies, and to use that inquiry to inform your own writing or performing. There is a learning opportunity here that you are simply choosing to ignore to your own detriment.
Don't be arrogant and talk down to people, it isn't polite. Refine my thinking? 'Change' my thinking is the word you are looking for, and you are just as guilty. I have read lots on this subject, and never does it say that have a definition of a word being 'anything' is evolution.

Let me re-enforce what I have said many times before, the definition of a symphony has changed and will change, but to define 'symphony' as any musical piece, is destroying any meaning it could have. To redefine it as, for example, a piece for 'an ensemble, often with a piano part' would be changing it's meaning. This is obviously still a loose and flexible definition, but it isn't encumbered with the chaos of defining it as 'anything'. If all words could meant anything, how would we communicate? You seem to be forgetting the purpose of language and that is to communicate, calling a piece for clarinet, voice and piano a symphony communicates nothing and confuses the situation.
There is a learning opportunity here that you are simply choosing to ignore to your own detriment.
Calling something that has no historical, or musical elements of a symphony a symphony defeats any reasoning that composer could have for calling it such.

You also seem confused as how evolution works, evolution is a very slow and gradual transition, not a sudden change in shape or form.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions on whether a piece of music is a symphony or not. I don't wish to get into any arguments. If I think a composition is a symphony, I'll take it as it is. For example, I consider Beethoven's Choral Fantasy and Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations as concertos for piano and violoncello respectively, regardless of the title. This is because both fits into my way of thinking that a solo instrument with orchestral accompaniment is a "concerto". I'm sorry if I offend anybody but that's just how the way I think and I won't change other peoples' minds. You can't tell somebody to think how you think because freedom of thought is a basic fundamental right of every human being.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

What is infinitely worse, in my humble opinion, is the common usage that refers to any piece of music -- vocal or instrumental -- as a "song."
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I thought a "song" requires the presence of a human voice with an instrumental accompaniment. Any music which precludes the human voice, therefore, is not a song in a classical sense.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Vivaldi wrote:I thought a "song" requires the presence of a human voice with an instrumental accompaniment. Any music which precludes the human voice, therefore, is not a song in a classical sense.
Yes, that's true. But have you noticed that MP3 players advertise how many "songs" they can hold? And Windows Media Player keeps a display saying "SONG:" at the bottom.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

That isn't really a bad categorisation, all they are doing is playing to the highest market. Most people who use WMP, are people who only listen to pop songs, in which case it is correct terminology, but for the rest of us who have other pieces, it is bad. iTunes is much better, they categorize everything as a 'track' rather than song.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Vivaldi wrote:I thought a "song" requires the presence of a human voice with an instrumental accompaniment. Any music which precludes the human voice, therefore, is not a song in a classical sense.
Sorry, but I can't resist, but how about Mendelssohn's (and a others though I think his are the most well known) Songs without Words? :)

I'm glad some others are posting on this, I find it a very interesting subject and didn't intend for it to become so hostile. The relationship between the title of a work and the work itself is an extremely rich and complicated one that I feel is worthy of exploration in music, and the last few symphonies of Ustvolskaya demonstrate some of this, though calling two pieces, one of which is for Trumpet, tam-tam, contralto and piano, the other for violin, oboe, trumpet, tuba, percussion and speaker symphonies and numbering them as such alongside her ones for much larger, more "symphonic" ensembles seems fairly conservative as compared to say some of Magritte's exploration of this topic. I've become very interested in this of late as I have been exploring writing a piece of music that would be analogous to Magritte's famous This is Not a Pipe series of paintings and drawings. So I am very interested in hearing as many viewpoints as possible on this.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Now that I think of it, Nos. 4-7 of Alkan's Douze études, op. 39 (1857) are collected under the title "Symphonie." That's not to ignore symphonies for organ solo, too.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Lyle Neff wrote:That's not to ignore symphonies for organ solo, too.
That's a good point, I almost forgot about these, the Widor Symphonies for Organ immediately coming to mind.

The Alkan pieces also reminded me of some Schumann pieces that might be relevant here, the Symphonic Etudes for piano, implying that Schumann had in mind here that Symphonic was an adjective that had wider definition than simply something written for symphony orchestra.

Sorabji also had some compositions like this, the Piano Symphonies, the Symphonic Variations were originally just for piano but the first set were later also orchestrated for piano and orchestra, as well as some Organ Symphonies.

More food for thought.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Yes, Mendelssohn's Song Without Words. This is a bit strange for me. It is as if Mendelssohn intended the piano to replace the human voice for these compositions. I don't know.
Also, Dvorak also wrote a piece called Symphonic Variations, which is basically a theme and variations work for orchestra.