BBC Proms

Moderator: kcleung

ThaSchwab
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

BBC Proms

Post by ThaSchwab »

Anyone watching/listening to any of the proms? You can only watch if you're in the UK but some concerts are available for listening to on the official Proms website. I've particularly taken a liking to the two NY Phil concerts posted. The Rite of Spring and Tchaikovsky's 4th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2008

Use the calendar to browse for other concerts (recordings, I believe, are only available for a week after concerts).

The NY Phil concerts are the 28th and 29th of August (Thursday and yesterday).
Deinonychus
regular poster

Post by Deinonychus »

I was at both of the NY Phil concerts and they were excellent performances. Friday night in particular, probably the best Tchaikovsky 4 I've heard, and Jean-Yves Thibaudet was outstanding in the Gershwin concerto on the Thursday
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Tchaikovsky's Fourth was very well played, and Judith LeClair's bassoon solo at the beginning of the Rite was as well. I only wish either that I was there or there was a video of it that I could watch (even though only those in the UK could view it).
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

I don't know if it's legal or not, but I've listened to previous performances of the BBC Proms in Youtube, notably Pictures at an Exhibition.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Vivaldi wrote:I don't know if it's legal or not, but I've listened to previous performances of the BBC Proms in Youtube, notably Pictures at an Exhibition.
It's legal. The video's been on YouTube for over a year, and with YouTube's extreme intolerance to copyright infringement, it would've been removed a while ago. I check for new videos everyday. I only wish the NY Phil Proms were on television, in both the UK and New York.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Maybe the New York Phil Proms are available for download from Youtube as well?
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Vivaldi wrote:Maybe the New York Phil Proms are available for download from Youtube as well?
The NY Phil Proms weren't broadcast on television, according to the official Proms website.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

That's too bad.