Moderator: kcleung

aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dedicated to our US friends, on the eve of their election

Post by aldona »

Sarah Palin plays the flute.

(A scene from her Miss Alaska pageant talent contest, 1984.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0OZ9W2K_z0
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Congratulations on a great thread! :D
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

:lol: hehehe... I just saw my two signature lines juxtaposed with the content of my post, and they seemed particularly appropriate...

Actually, she didn't do too badly, probably being the average kid who had some flute lessons at school in addition to sport and cheerleading and hunting moose and whatever else she did as a teenager...

I think I would have been at a similar level at age 18-19 and straight out of the high school band.

Maybe she should have concentrated on music instead of going into politics.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Maybe she should have concentrated on music instead of going into politics.
Or fashion as it were.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I am actually rather pleased with the result!

(Okay, bit of an understatement....)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

There was a real carnival atmosphere here at work yesterday.

After work we had an Amnesty branch meeting, and I know we in Amnesty are supposed to be strictly politically neutral and non-partisan, but we just couldn't resist celebrating with some organic fair-trade chocolate.
Congratulations on a great thread! :D
If this is such a great thread, how come we are the only two participants? And we're not even Americans!

aldona
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

There was a real carnival atmosphere here at work yesterday.
Same at uni, everyone was watching the results live on their computer, and no-one spoke of anything else.
and I know we in Amnesty are supposed to be strictly politically neutral and non-partisan
Doesn't mean you can't condemn actions does it?
If this is such a great thread, how come we are the only two participants? And we're not even Americans!
I feel the international community wanted to vote more than Americans did.
goldberg988
forum adept

Post by goldberg988 »

I voted for Sen. Obama, and have been elated at our victory. Some students here at Eastman were also elated, and decided to have a makeshift parade at 1:00 AM until the police decided to arrest them and confiscate their instruments. So much for the 1st amendment.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... 003/NEWS01

I only wished the entire election had been more definitive; at least two senate races are still to be called, and one will go to a runoff. The resounding defeat of civil rights for gay couples all around the country was similarly frustrating.

In the meantime, I stand proud of my country. Next step: Copyright reform!!
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Yagan Kiely wrote:
and I know we in Amnesty are supposed to be strictly politically neutral and non-partisan
Doesn't mean you can't condemn actions does it?
That's right - we're non-partisan, equal-opportunity condemners of human rights violations.

The Amnesty website already has a list of things that they would like President-Elect Obama to do to improve human rights.

Maybe we need a new campaign...

"Make Music, Not War."

aldona
ras1
active poster

Post by ras1 »

There, now there are two Americans. I can't really say, since I'm at a very liberal college, but I think people here were pretty excited to vote too. We're all pretty happy with the result, though the gay marriage decisions were really ridiculous...

And Sarah Palin's flute-playing skills did surprising little to help her garner the musician vote!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

We're all pretty happy with the result, though the gay marriage decisions were really ridiculous...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but: Gay Marriage was banned, but one stayed allowed doctor assisted euthanasia, and another allowed medical marijuana?

Speaking of euthanasia, Australia may not be able even look at information about it online if the Great Barrier Firewall actually happens...
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

President-Elect Barack Obama's victory has been celebrated by almost everyone I've talked to in person about it here in Melbourne, and grateful that the impending end to the Bush years will not give way to President McSame.

Anyway, time to rant about the gay marriage vote.

Yes, Proposition 8 passed in California, so that about 20,000 Californian same-sex marriages were perhaps given notice of an involuntary divorce, by the 52% of voters in the state who voted for it.

Charlie Stross preaching to the choir:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... ition.html

And since when does a simple majority vote suffice to determine who can marry and who can't? What kind of f***ed up stupidity is that? Consider a similar Proposition about whether whites could marry blacks in somewhere like Louisiana in 1960. I can really imagine that vote being equally "popular".

Disgusted! PML (yet another Aussie, so we're outnumbering you Yanks again on this thread)
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Every forum I go to, Australian outnumber Americans.... it's weird...
barn_elms

Music Related?

Post by barn_elms »

What a shame that you've hijacked this forum to discuss licensing buggery in America, couldn't you restrict your conversations to private messaging and let us get on with discussing music in public?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

What?