A cool Bruckner site

Moderator: kcleung

ZacPB189
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

A cool Bruckner site

Post by ZacPB189 »

There's a site that's been up awhile called abruckner.com. There're free recordings and free scores, too. Bruckner fans will LOVE this (it's run by a Bruckner fan, I should add)!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ZacPB189
ZacPB189

Tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Re: A cool Bruckner site

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I just don't believe those recordings are legal...
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I got the symphony full scores we don't have (mainly Eulenburg). The original piano stuff there appears to be from newer Urtext editions. The piano transcriptions (Singer, Stradal, etc.) we appear to have for the most part. He'll have to remove those recordings before long, I expect.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Indeed.
ZacPB189
forum adept

Post by ZacPB189 »

I think he sells most of the recordings... :?
ZacPB189

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Well I could download and listen to most all that I tested.
ZacPB189
forum adept

Post by ZacPB189 »

He does a "download of the month" feature. I believe he only keeps up the present one and the ones for the past year, but most of the stuff you have to buy... I go there mostly for the scores and such, and any recordings of a completed finale for the 9th...(long story short, the 9th is NOT complete without the Te Deum or Finale).
ZacPB189

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The older 'download of the month' items I tested all worked. And who completed the finale?
ZacPB189
forum adept

Post by ZacPB189 »

Carigan? (I can't spell.... :( )
ZacPB189

Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Even if he owns the recordings, aren't these illegal to be posted online for download if the recordings are fairly recent?
reinhold
forum adept

Post by reinhold »

Vivaldi wrote:Even if he owns the recordings, aren't these illegal to be posted online for download if the recordings are fairly recent?
From what I see, most of the recordings are quite old recordings, which are out of copyright in Europe (50 years after the recording, so everything recorded before 1959 is free from performers' rights here...). I don't know about the sitution in the USA, though, where the site is hosted.
Most of the remaining recordings seem to be out-of-stock LPs, which are not sold any more. There might be special provisions for them in copyright law (although here in Austria these provisions only allow copying for personal use, which does not include posting them on a web page).

Cheers,
Reinhold
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Didn't Europe recently extend it to 70 years? I though I heard McCartney jumping for joy over a few extra million dollars to his few billion.
reinhold
forum adept

Post by reinhold »

Yagan Kiely wrote:Didn't Europe recently extend it to 70 years? I though I heard McCartney jumping for joy over a few extra million dollars to his few billion.
It is not yet officially extended, but it will be in the near future. The current legal situation is as follows:
  • On April 23, the European Parliament approved the proposal of the commission to change the EU copyright directive, with the change that the term was only extended to 70 years (95 years were proposed by the commission).
  • This will have to be approved by the European Council, too. (I'm sure it will be approved, since the council tends to be rather industry-friendly, but that hasn't happened yet).
  • After the approval by both parliament and council, the final directive will be published and come into effect. However, a EU directive doesn't directly apply as law. Instead the member states of the EU have to adjust their national laws to reflect the requirements of the directive. Only then the local law is binding.
And finally, the adopted directive amendment explicitly states in amendments 52 and 63 (see the text/changes of the vote at the web site of the European parliament:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... XML+V0//EN
) that the new terms only apply to works that are still protected on the day (yet to be determined) the directive comes into effect. So, what is free now will stay free.

Cheers,
Reinhold
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Disgusting (and 95 years! wtf?). At least it's not retroactive.
pierre.chepelov
active poster

Post by pierre.chepelov »

The extension is not done, and will probably not be done before the next European Parliament elections (June).
May I recommend the anti-extension lobby at http://www.soundcopyright.eu/ ? I think every European or non-EU citizen should support them.