Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Moderator: kcleung

swpianist
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Post by swpianist »

Greetings,

I am researching Tchaikovsky's Piano Sonata in C sharp minor, Op. Posth. 80, composed in 1865. The score, although used as recently for performance and publication as 1901, is now, unfortunately, lost. I am hoping to track down the details of this score's history, it's last known location. This work is little known, and might be completely unknown if it weren't for two fascinating recordings of it made by pianists Samuil Feinberg and Emil Gilels. The Scherzo of this rarely heard Sonata is the same Scherzo as Tchaikovsky's First Symphony, Op. 13.

If anyone has any clue about this work, comments, or knowledge of it, please contact me.

Also, if anyone has any idea about how to locate the score (or at least its last known whereabouts) I am greatly interested. It's sort of a musical archeology project.

The first publisher, in 1900, was Peter Jurgenson, Moscow.

Thanks!
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Post by Carolus »

You posted this request to several threads, and it has been answered elsewhere. In the future, please confine requests of this nature to the "Score requests" thread.
swpianist

Post by swpianist »

Thank you, Carolus. Althought I posted this same information in "Score Requests," I was recently informed that this post was the wrong post for "Score Requests." I'm simply trying to locate a manuscript which was presumed lost, and appreciate any useful information I might find. Thank you for your reply.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

In the future, please place one request under the most appropriate forum. Posting three separate requests is unnecessary.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
swpianist

Post by swpianist »

Thanks to all for your help and information regarding the work in question. Please excuse my enthusiasm - I am only hoping to track down the history of the manuscript to this amazing work.

I beg your pardon if I've inadvertently posted in the wrong forums, or to too many forums. I do appreciate everyone's assistance and encouragement - thanks!

Cheers!

SW