notabot2: Bot

Re: Solo beginnings

Post by horndude77 »

Be as picky as you like. :)
thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

A more recent piece by Mark Camphouse (published in '06), "Symphonic Prelude: The Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer" begins with an english horn solo.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

thefrenchhornguy wrote:A more recent piece by Mark Camphouse (published in '06), "Symphonic Prelude: The Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer" begins with an english horn solo.
Speaking of Marc Camphouse, 'A Movement for Rosa' begins with a solo flute. It's a wind ensemble piece, though.
thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

So is Symphonic Prelude. I thought we were listing any pieces that began with a solo instrument (for wind ensemble or orchestra). I guess I should read the instructions more carefully...
allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by allegroamabile »

Does anyone know if it is the kettle drum that begins the Turondot Overture by Weber?
tickle88
regular poster

Post by tickle88 »

Tchaikovsky's 2nd starts with a full eighth-note chord; the 1st horn holds his note for the full measure, then starts the melody solo. And Mahler's 3rd, like Schubert's Great C Major, starts with a unison horn melody--but 8 of them! But "almost" only counts in horseshoes (and H-bombs and hand grenades). All these horn openings...Say, horndude, did you have an ulterior motive in starting this discussion?
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES

Post by horndude77 »

tickle88 wrote:Tchaikovsky's 2nd starts with a full eighth-note chord; the 1st horn holds his note for the full measure, then starts the melody solo. And Mahler's 3rd, like Schubert's Great C Major, starts with a unison horn melody--but 8 of them! But "almost" only counts in horseshoes (and H-bombs and hand grenades). All these horn openings...Say, horndude, did you have an ulterior motive in starting this discussion?
Yup. Almost doesn't count.

If you count the instruments on the current list (http://imslp.org/wiki/User:Horndude77/Solo_Beginnings) I think timpani is actually ahead in the count (followed by trumpet, then perhaps horn or clarinet). But yes, I am partial to good horn openings :).
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

I seem to recall David Del Tredici's Final Alice beginning with a simulated orchestral tuneup: middle-A on the oboe. Haven't heard it for a while nor have a seen a score, though.

--Sixtus

PS: If they haven't been mentioned already there also might be some Vivaldi multi-violin concerti that start with solos. And there are the Telemann "Concerti" for 4 solo violins the 1st and 3rd of which start one violin at a time. But it's debatable if these are "orchestral" works.
ZacPB189
forum adept

Post by ZacPB189 »

Mahler: Symphony No.4 - sleigh bells
You seem to have forgotten that flutes are playing at the exact same time
ZacPB189

Tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

What? All this time and nobody has mentioned Sibelius' Tapiola which starts, like his 7th Symphony, with the timpani? These are his two supreme orchestral masterpieces. Too bad they're not PD yet. The string writing, especially in Tapiola, should be examined by all students of orchestration. My study score was a good investment.

--Sixtus
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

sbeckmesser wrote:I seem to recall David Del Tredici's Final Alice beginning with a simulated orchestral tuneup: middle-A on the oboe. Haven't heard it for a while nor have a seen a score, though.
This is mostly right. The piece actually begins with narration, then the Oboe plays the A, then more narration after a beat and a half of the A, so this should count, but depending on how you look at things, is the Narrator the solo? Or do we ignore that and start with the Oboe's solo?

Either way, pretty awesome piece.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The narrator would probably count as the solo; we already have a couple pieces listed that way.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

In that case, Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex starts with a narrator as does Berlioz' Lelio. Both pieces are over-the-top bizarre, in different ways.

--Sixtus

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/3 ... _score.pdf
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Borodin's Symphony No. 3 begins with a solo oboe.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Borodin's Symphony No. 3 begins with a solo oboe.
As does Ravel's early Shéhérazade, ouverture de féerie