Kindle

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Kindle

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It's been talked about before many times, but now it's on the kindle. Good or bad?

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/07/sheet ... -um-sheet/
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Kindle

Post by Carolus »

Let me guess...... Amazon is making their low-res (200 dpi on average) scans in the EveryNote catalog (which they own) available at $3.00 each.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Wait, what collection do they have? Is it from Everynote?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Can you only use EveryNote? If not, it could be influential; a mainstream music viewer with no more paper. I know there have been these in the past, but none were ever popular, and certainly none started semi-popular.

Obviously the smaller kindle is useless, but the larger one is possible for Piano, and I heard they are making another one.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I'm not really familiar with how one loads files into Kindle, and what type of files it takes. If it takes regular PDF, the whole IMSLP archive is there for no charge.
Mazin
regular poster

Post by Mazin »

Somewhat relevant: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... ic%20.html

I think the Kindle's screen is a tad small, but I'm eagerly awaiting near-letter-size e-ink displays at affordable costs.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

What if the larger kindle? I don't know. I can't even find ANY eBook reader in perth.
Generoso
active poster

Mac Tablet soon to come?

Post by Generoso »

I have heard that Apple will soon release a sort of Mac Tablet that could be used (among other things) to read music or show pdf's. It will be similar to the ipod touch only bigger. It shall hopfully come out sometime between now and the beginning of 2010. This could be the solution many have been waiting for?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

That rumour has been going for 7 straight years… so…

And there are rumours that it will run Snow Leopard (as well as rumours for iPhoneOS). They say 10.6 because a lot of the new features could easily be used through touch. If they do release it (September/November2009 or early 2010) then it will be a really expensive eBook reader (that said, so is the kindle).

I'm certainly looking forward it it actually coming out though.
Mazin
regular poster

Post by Mazin »

I got my Tablet PC for 300 USD off of eBay, which might be an option for you. I'm not too happy with how locked-down the Kindle is... for one thing, you need to convert PDFs to their proprietary format before you can display them on the Kindle. Sony's ebook reader is comparatively open wrt file formats, so you can take a look at that.
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

I have heard that Apple will soon release a sort of Mac Tablet that could be used (among other things) to read music or show pdf's.
True, the rumour has been going around for years, but with the success of the technology used on the iPhone, now it's just a matter of time. But they're really gonna have to do something about battery life to make it worth anyone's while: because it's Apple, everyone will expect full blazing colour, and that takes a lot of power. The advantage of the Kindle at the moment is that it's simple black and white.

As for sheet music on a K, it looks reasonably good for something simple, but can you imagine trying to read something written for even a salon orchestra?
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

My uni's library has full scores of Mahler's symphonies (Universal (:twisted:) Edition) on miniature 19cm scores, they are just readable.

The likeliness the Apple will release the tablet soon is pretty high (Gizmodo has it at 90%, but I don't trust them at all). There is the orders of ?10" screens from China etc. lots of evidence suggesting they're doing it shortly. Still means nothing though.
Generoso
active poster

iPad

Post by Generoso »

This new iPad that is coming out this weekend looks promising for reading pdf's.

There is in fact already an app for this.http://www.forscoreapp.com/

I can now take my entire music library with me!!