Finding music

Moderator: kcleung

Judith

Finding music

Post by Judith »

Help please. Three of us play together - the instruments are flute, violin and viola. I cannot find music for our combination. Have I missed some vital means of searching?

Thanks Judith
goldberg988
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by goldberg988 »

Hello Judith, and welcome. Beethoven has a Serenade for Flute, Violin, and Viola, Op. 25. Are you aware of it? I will try to upload it to the website if not. There are probably many other works out there for this combination. If you have access to a good music library at a school or university, try to find a book that lists chamber music repertoire, and look up entries for your instrumentation. That's probably the easiest way to go.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Welcome, Judith!

I have a copy of the Beethoven Serenade for flute, violin & viola - you have just bumped it up to the top of my priority list for uploading. Give me a couple of days (have had an extraordinarily busy few weeks at work - not much time for scanning) but hopefully it should be up before the weekend.

I can relate to your difficulty in finding music for the right combination. I play the flute and piano, and most of my classical music loving friends play stringed instruments, so I am always on the lookout for chamber music for mixed string & wind ensembles. I have seen a number of pieces for flute + violin + cello but there doesn't seem to be as much with viola. Will keep looking...

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Judith

Post by Judith »

Hi Aldona

Thanks for your reply. We lost our cellist and thsy Beethoven is the one that we play. I had hoped to find loads of other music for the same combination but am struggling. Any other suggestions? Judith
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I can't think of any pieces for flute+violin+viola off the top of my head, but I know there must be pieces out there for 2 violins + viola - and it would be relatively easy for the flute to play one of the violin parts. I'll keep my eyes open.

I play music sometimes with 2 friends, one who plays violin and one who plays cello + piano. I play flute + piano, and thus we have had combinations of
- piano + violin + cello (standard piano trio)
- Flute + violin + cello
- violin + flute
- flute + cello
- any of the above + piano
Unfortunately I am having trouble locating a viola player - if we had one, then we could have a flute quartet. Or if I found a double bass player as well, we could have Schubert's "Trout" Quintet. :D

Now one for the moderators:
I have uploaded the Beethoven Serenade Op.25 but my attempt at creating a page for the piece has met with failure. It's late at night here and my brain cells are failing, so I will sign off and return in the morning, but if you can work out what I have done wrong this time and let me know, I would be eternally grateful...

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hmm... it was because the title had an ampersand (&) in it, and ampersands break IMSLP URLs. I really should get around fixing this bug, but its not easy to fix amid the url encoding and double encoding (!) done to work around bugs with Apache + PHP (apparently Apache does decoding, and then PHP does another level of decoding. Or something).

Anyway, its fixed now, and thats all you need to know :) Just remember next time to not use ampersands in the page titles... at least not until I get this bug sorted out.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

OK, that's done - the Serenade has been added to the relevant page. I'll have to wire up some kind of gadget to the keyboard so that if I try to press the "ampersand" key, it makes an awful noise.

aldona
Judith

Post by Judith »

Thanks Aldona. If you come across any suitable music I would be pleased to hear from you. Judith
jobdf
regular poster

works for flute, violin and viola

Post by jobdf »

Hi,

searching in German public libraries I found this works:

Divertimento : für Flöte, Violine und Viola / Hans Ahlgrimm. - Partitur und Stimmen - Berlin : Lienau

Serenade : für Flöte, Violine und Viola / Heinz Benker. - Partitur und Stimmen - Frankfurt (Main) [u.a.] : Möseler, c 1968

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR / Kurt Brüggemann. - LITOLFF

Three trios opus 26 nos I - III [Musikdruck] : for flute, violin and viola / Giuseppe Maria Gioacchino Cambini (1746-1825). Edited by Paul M. Douglas. - Stimmen - London : Nova Music, c 1980

Trio : für Flöte, Violine und Viola, Werk 30 / Joh. Nep. David (1895-1977). - Stimmen - Wiesbaden : Breitkopf und Härtel, c 1943

Trio : für Flöte, Violine und Viola op. 29 No. 1 F-Dur / Fiorillo, Federigo (1755-1823) . - Hamburg ; London : Simrock, c 1965

[DIVERTIMENTO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR OP 82] DIVERTIMENTO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR OP 82 / Willy Hess. - AMADEUSSerenade in F : für Flöte, Violine und Viola; (1952) / Alfred Koerppen. - Wiesbaden : Breitkopf und Härtel, c 1952

Drei leichte Trios : für Flöte, (Violine), Violine und Viola KV 439b / W. A. Mozart. Revidirt, für den Unterricht und zum Vortrag genau bezeichnet von F. May. - Heilbronn : Schmidt

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR OP 32] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR OP 32 / Henri Marteau (1874-. - SIMROCK

[TRIOS FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 3: NR 3 C-DUR] TRIOS FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 3: NR 3 C-DUR / Franz Neubauer (1760-1795). - SIKORSKI

Heinrich Köhler (1765-1833): Trios op. 119

[SUITE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 21] SUITE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 21 / Louis Jungmann (1832-1892) - AMADEUS

[Serenaden, Fl Vl Va] Serenaden Opus 77a und 141a Flöte (Violine), Violine und Viola / Max Reger(1873-1916). Hrsg. von Michael Kube. - Urtext - Henle [Stimmen]
[Serenaden, Fl Vl Va] Serenaden für Flöte (Violine), Violine und Viola Opus 77a, 141a / Max Reger. Hrsg. von Michael Kube. - Urtext - Henle [Partitur]

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 19] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 19 / SANDOR JEMNITZ (1890-). - ZIMMERMANN

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR / Kurt Brüggemann. - LITOLFF

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 30] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 30 / Johann Nepomuk David. - BREITKOPF & HAERTEL

[VARIATIONEN FUER 2 OBOEN UND ENGLISCH HORN C-DUR WOO 28, BEARB FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA] VARIATIONEN FUER 2 OBOEN UND ENGLISCH HORN C-DUR WOO 28, BEARB FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA / Ludwig van Beethoven. - BAERENREITER

[SERENADEN FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA, AUSW] SERENADEN FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA, AUSW / Gerhard Maasz. - AMADEUS

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA G-DUR OP 61] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA G-DUR OP 61 / August Reuss. - VERL. F. MUSIKAL. KULTUR U. WISS.

[SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 49] SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA OP 49 / CARL SCHADEWITZ. - GROSCH

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA B-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA B-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA D-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA G-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA G-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA ES-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA ES-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA A-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA A-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA C-DUR] TRIO FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA C-DUR / Florian Gassmann. - KISTNER & SIEGEL

[SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA] SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA (1927) / Ludwig Weber (1877-). - ZIMMERMANN

[SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA] SERENADE FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA / Heinz Benker. - MOESELER

[KLEINE HAUSMUSIK FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA] KLEINE HAUSMUSIK FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA / Fritz Racek. - DOBLINGER

[OPUS 61: NR 1 FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA] OPUS 61: NR 1 FUER FLOETE, VIOLINE UND VIOLA / Paul Kont. - DOBLINGER

Maybe possible too: (2 flutes and viola)

Trio : für zwei Querflöten) und Violoncello (Generalbaß); C-Dur / Johann Christian Bach (1735-1782). Hrsg. von Frank Nagel. Generalbaßaussetzung: Winfried Radeke. - Partitur und Stimmen - Wolfenbüttel, Zürich : Möseler, c 1972

Trio G-Dur : für 2 Querflöten und Viola = Trio in G major / Wilhelm F. Bach (1710-1784). Hrsg. von Rolf Ermeler. - Partitur und Stimmen - Kassel [u.a.] : Bärenreiter-Verlag, c 1967. (Hortus musicus ; 57)

Die Londoner Trios : für zwei Flöten u. Violoncello = The London trios / Joseph Haydn. Hrsg. von Leo Balet ; [dt. u. engl. Geleitw.: Leo Balet]. - [Stimmen. - Neuaufl.] - Kassel : Nagels-Verlag (Nagels-Musik-Archiv ; 71)

Trio 6 in G-Dur : für zwei Flöten (Flöte und Violine) und Violoncello / Carl Stamitz. Herausgegeben von Friedrich Schnapp. - Stimmen - Kassel [u.a.] : Bärenreiter-Verlag, (Hortus musicus ; 106)

jobdf
Judith

Post by Judith »

Thank you so much - I will follow up all of this music. Judith
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

The last piece of music on the list (the Stamitz trio, Hortus Musicus No. 106), I have already uploaded. :)

As for the others - I'll have to start looking around.

Is anyone familiar with the Danish Royal Library website? They have a wonderful collection of old scores and manuscripts (including a very extensive collection of baroque/pre-classical and early classical flute music, most of it with strings :D ).

The first time I stumbled across them, I felt like a child in a candy store. And when I found the Boccherini flute quintets that I had searched everywhere for, I got even more excited. 8)

Their URL is
http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/samling/ma/index.html
but they seem to be down at the moment.

Does anyone know what the legalities would be of transferring some of their stuff across to IMSLP? (like what happens with the Sibley Music Library).

aldona
Korobushka

Post by Korobushka »

Can Someone please upload Sarasate's Navarra?
Ensamble52

Post by Ensamble52 »

Korobushka wrote:Can Someone please upload Sarasate's Navarra?
Hi. I have posted it. Find it in:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Navarra_Op._33_%2 ... ablo_de%29
Regards
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

That's lifted straight from everynote.com so it's not PD, the basic scan may be useable, but at the very lest it needs the logo removed.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I realize that I'm being technical here, but it is actually PD. You can't include EveryNote's logo in the scan because it's a trademark violation. Canadian copyright law does not recognize a mere scan of a public domain item (the Sarasate original) as a new copyrighted computer file.