Arrangements You Have Made

Moderator: kcleung

SeanMartin
forum adept
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby SeanMartin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Lyle Neff
active poster
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:21 pm
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human
Location: Delaware, USA

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby Lyle Neff » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I forgot: there's these orchestrations that I did in Finale, primarily for MIDI output (the scores are functionally more like Finale "play" files):

Cesar Cui

(The links for these MP3s are from my storage site at http://www.mediafire.com/mllefifi.)
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)

kongming819
active poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby kongming819 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 am

.......... ummmmmm getting back on topic....

Moszkowski's Spanish Dance No. 2 for violin and piano (per a friend's request)
Stravinsky's Rite of Spring for 2 pianos (just because I felt like it... and I'm not sure that it's playable...)
MacKenzie's Feux d'artifice for orchestra (MacKenzie is a friend, not a published composer, so don't worry about finding information on him)

I plan on.....
orchestrating:
Benjamin Lee's Fantasia
Ravel's Ondine from Gaspard de la nuit (probably futile and impossible, but hey, Ravel orchestrated Une barque sur l'ocean... that's pretty awesome. Maybe... just MAYBE I can do something similar)

..... not sure what else yet....... maybe I'll decide to arrange Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy for 2 pianos and maybe even Orff's Carmina Burana...

allegroamabile
active poster
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human
Location: United States

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby allegroamabile » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am

kongming819 wrote:maybe I'll decide to arrange Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy for 2 pianos


A little too late for that...

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9/9e/IMSLP26981-PMLP46740-Scriabin-Op54pfConus.pdf

kongming819
active poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby kongming819 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am

allegroamabile wrote:
kongming819 wrote:maybe I'll decide to arrange Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy for 2 pianos


A little too late for that...

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9/9e/IMSLP26981-PMLP46740-Scriabin-Op54pfConus.pdf


CRUD. oh well. :D

allegroamabile
active poster
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human
Location: United States

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby allegroamabile » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:26 am

The Orff has probably been done too.

SeanMartin
forum adept
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby SeanMartin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:41 am

So they've been done. So what? BORIS GUDUNOV has two very different sets of orchestrations, remember. Just because someone's done something doesnt mean you cant.

kongming819
active poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby kongming819 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 am

SeanMartin wrote:So they've been done. So what? BORIS GUDUNOV has two very different sets of orchestrations, remember. Just because someone's done something doesnt mean you cant.


WOOT!!!!!! That's the optimism we need

allegroamabile
active poster
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human
Location: United States

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby allegroamabile » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:06 am

True, but this is concerning the piano, not an orchestra. That is something totally different. You are arranging the same piece for piano that has already been arranged for the instrument before. It would just be too similar. Sure the notes might be a little different but that is it. Try something that has not been arranged for the instrumentation you are looking for.

This is not optimism, this is a reality check. :twisted:

just joking..... :D

I'm thinking about arranging Dvorak's 8th Symphony for wind band, is there anybody here to back me up and persuade me to accomplish this feat?

Melodia
active poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:30 pm

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby Melodia » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 am

allegroamabile wrote:True, but this is concerning the piano, not an orchestra. That is something totally different. You are arranging the same piece for piano that has already been arranged for the instrument before.


Franz Liszt would like to have a word with you.

allegroamabile
active poster
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:13 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human
Location: United States

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby allegroamabile » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:00 am

Just to clarify, I mean that if the arrangement has been already done and published for piano, it wouldn't be much fun to do another piano reduction.

Wow..... my wording is off today.

kongming819
active poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby kongming819 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 pm

allegroamabile wrote:Just to clarify, I mean that if the arrangement has been already done and published for piano, it wouldn't be much fun to do another piano reduction.

Wow..... my wording is off today.


Not necessarily. People may have fresh ideas on how to transcribe a certain effect and one can substantially improve or rewrite an existing reduction.

SeanMartin
forum adept
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:55 am
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby SeanMartin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 pm

kongming819 wrote:
allegroamabile wrote:Just to clarify, I mean that if the arrangement has been already done and published for piano, it wouldn't be much fun to do another piano reduction.

Wow..... my wording is off today.


Not necessarily. People may have fresh ideas on how to transcribe a certain effect and one can substantially improve or rewrite an existing reduction.


Amen. As I noted elsewhere, I used to study the accordion -- and I know what you're thinking: years of nothing but the Beer Barrel Polka, right?

Nope. My teacher made sure I knew about music as much as the instrument I was playing it on. After about three years, she introduced me to my first orchestral score (Bear in mind we're talking a music teacher in the Texas Panhandle, folks. Not New York or Los Angeles or Boston, but the belt buckle of the American Southwest.): the third movement of Scheherezade. She very patiently walked me through it, while playing a recording, one of those old-fashioned things they used to call "records". She pointed out the instruments as they sounded, and after a while I got the hang of what I was seeing/listening to. Then, when the movement was over, she turned it off, handed me the score, and said, "Turn this into an accordion solo. You have two weeks."

It was terrible, of course. But what a blast. Since then, I've found a few such reductions (yes, for the accordion), but none are as straight-up fabulous as the work this little thirteen year old accordionist created.

All.

By.

Himself. :)

kongming819
active poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby kongming819 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:16 am

SeanMartin wrote:
kongming819 wrote:
allegroamabile wrote:Just to clarify, I mean that if the arrangement has been already done and published for piano, it wouldn't be much fun to do another piano reduction.

Wow..... my wording is off today.


Not necessarily. People may have fresh ideas on how to transcribe a certain effect and one can substantially improve or rewrite an existing reduction.


Amen. As I noted elsewhere, I used to study the accordion -- and I know what you're thinking: years of nothing but the Beer Barrel Polka, right?

Nope. My teacher made sure I knew about music as much as the instrument I was playing it on. After about three years, she introduced me to my first orchestral score (Bear in mind we're talking a music teacher in the Texas Panhandle, folks. Not New York or Los Angeles or Boston, but the belt buckle of the American Southwest.): the third movement of Scheherezade. She very patiently walked me through it, while playing a recording, one of those old-fashioned things they used to call "records". She pointed out the instruments as they sounded, and after a while I got the hang of what I was seeing/listening to. Then, when the movement was over, she turned it off, handed me the score, and said, "Turn this into an accordion solo. You have two weeks."

It was terrible, of course. But what a blast. Since then, I've found a few such reductions (yes, for the accordion), but none are as straight-up fabulous as the work this little thirteen year old accordionist created.

All.

By.

Himself. :)


Thank you very much for substantiating the argument with a concrete example. It makes me feel much better. :)

Melodia wrote:
allegroamabile wrote:True, but this is concerning the piano, not an orchestra. That is something totally different. You are arranging the same piece for piano that has already been arranged for the instrument before.


Franz Liszt would like to have a word with you.


Funniest thing I've seen all day. It makes me laugh every time I see this haha

ZacPB189
forum adept
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:37 pm
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Arrangements You Have Made

Postby ZacPB189 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 pm

SeanMartin wrote:
kongming819 wrote:
allegroamabile wrote:Just to clarify, I mean that if the arrangement has been already done and published for piano, it wouldn't be much fun to do another piano reduction.

Wow..... my wording is off today.


Not necessarily. People may have fresh ideas on how to transcribe a certain effect and one can substantially improve or rewrite an existing reduction.


Amen. As I noted elsewhere, I used to study the accordion -- and I know what you're thinking: years of nothing but the Beer Barrel Polka, right?

Nope. My teacher made sure I knew about music as much as the instrument I was playing it on. After about three years, she introduced me to my first orchestral score (Bear in mind we're talking a music teacher in the Texas Panhandle, folks. Not New York or Los Angeles or Boston, but the belt buckle of the American Southwest.): the third movement of Scheherezade. She very patiently walked me through it, while playing a recording, one of those old-fashioned things they used to call "records". She pointed out the instruments as they sounded, and after a while I got the hang of what I was seeing/listening to. Then, when the movement was over, she turned it off, handed me the score, and said, "Turn this into an accordion solo. You have two weeks."

It was terrible, of course. But what a blast. Since then, I've found a few such reductions (yes, for the accordion), but none are as straight-up fabulous as the work this little thirteen year old accordionist created.

All.

By.

Himself. :)


Someone arranged the Scherzo from Bruckner 7 for Accordion. You can find it at abruckner.com :mrgreen:
ZacPB189

Tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:)


Return to “Music Related”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests