Requirements for The Curtis Institute

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Requirements for The Curtis Institute

Post by allegroamabile »

I am very interested in attending this school and I would like to be enlightened on what to do in order to get in. I have heard that it is the most difficult instition to get accepted into in the world.

Regards
scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Requirements for The Curtis Institute

Post by scottorr »

tickle88
regular poster

Post by tickle88 »

Difficult but worth it. For those in the US and abroad not familiar with this superb institution (in Philadelphia) it is entirely scholarship, i.e. no tuition. One of its early students was Samuel Barber, who had a triple major, voice, piano, and composition. There is a quota system: at any given time there are a certain number of students on each instrument, 6 horn players, for example. A young man from the town north of Boston where I live and work was the one (!) horn player accepted in his class. At the end of four years he had been so busy playing that he had a few academic credits to complete, so he decided to "get a little experience" by auditioning for the 2nd horn opening in Seattle. To his surprise (but not to mine) he got the job. My very best wishes to you for success; if you go there you will love every minute of it.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Thank you, I really appreciate the help. I hear they also have a descent summer camp program up there.