Over-Used/Over-Done things in the world of music..

Moderator: kcleung

ZacPB189
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Over-Used/Over-Done things in the world of music..

Post by ZacPB189 »

-"Unison" endings (most of Tchaikovsky's and the Strauss family's endings for exapmle)
-Suspenden Cymbal roles before a climax
-Piano Concertos/Sonatas etc....
-Cymbal Crashes every time the piece reaches "f" or above after crecendoing
-Quoting famous composers in modern pieces (example: the Chinese composer Tan-Dun copying Beethoven at every chance he possibly gets)
-arrangements of the songs: "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace"

I'm I the only one who thinks these things are done to often? :?
ZacPB189

Tr~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:)
SeanMartin
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Over-Used/Over-Done things in the world of music..

Post by SeanMartin »

Not at all. One of the biggest laughs I get from the Hoffnung series is the Grand Grand Festival Overture, which is a relentless send-up of almost every cliché you just wrote. One of the best moments is when the music builds and builds and builds and you think it's building to this amazing seventh-to-major resolution....

... and suddenly the piccolo picks up the theme and the whole thing cascades through the orchestra starting the whole whack all over again.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

ZacPB189 wrote:-"Unison" endings (most of Tchaikovsky's and the Strauss family's endings for exapmle)
-Quoting famous composers in modern pieces (example: the Chinese composer Tan-Dun copying Beethoven at every chance he possibly gets)

I'm I the only one who thinks these things are done to often? :?
You aren't. The writings of Hector Berlioz often contain complaints along many of these same lines. He was particularly annoyed by the over-use of the bass drum. Despite the decibel levels often reached in their music, both Berlioz and Wagner used bass drums rather infrequently

--Sixtus.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Zac, you would like this quote (but again, I can't remember who said it):

"Meyerbeer would have been a better composer if someone had taken the cymbals away from him." :lol:
bsteltz
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

SeanMartin wrote:Not at all. One of the biggest laughs I get from the Hoffnung series is the Grand Grand Festival Overture, which is a relentless send-up of almost every cliché you just wrote. One of the best moments is when the music builds and builds and builds and you think it's building to this amazing seventh-to-major resolution....

... and suddenly the piccolo picks up the theme and the whole thing cascades through the orchestra starting the whole whack all over again.
I like the vacuum cleaners (and floor polisher) :P
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Tchaikovsky is definitely notorious for doing these types of things, especially towards the end. One thing that amazes me is the ending of his Symphony No. 3, where there is 11 chords to end the piece! The coda is like something somebody would compose to make it sound funny and cliche, but it is the actual real thing! It is something you could laugh at the first time you would hear it. Then you have Glazunov who always seems to end the piece the same way. But if composers do it with different tunes frequently, that is fine with me, I actually enjoy those forms.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

-"Unison" endings (most of Tchaikovsky's and the Strauss family's endings for exapmle)
Doesn't bother me.
Strongly disagree. I love the piano (sick of writing for it lately mind you).
If we limit it to good composers, then these aren't a worry.
Doesn't bother me.
It was rotten from the beginning, so all arrangements will inherently be rotten also.