Bassoon Pieces Suggestion?

Moderator: kcleung

Notnd
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bassoon Pieces Suggestion?

Post by Notnd »

I'm doing a bassoon recital next month. Any suggestions that what pieces should I play?
I used to be perfect...Now I'm even better!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Bassoon Pieces Suggestion?

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Mozart. :P
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

Yagan Kiely wrote:Mozart. :P
Thanks. Great Piece.
tickle88
regular poster

Post by tickle88 »

Hindemith Sonata (Difficult piano part), Koechlin Op. 34 (3 pieces--short but lovely- very spare piano part) Arrangement of Rachmaninov Vocalise (Op.34 no.14-available here as a cello transcription, but commercially available for bassoon) Gounod, Marche Funebre d'une Marionnette, available here as piano solo, not hard to work up for Bassoon and Piano. The version here, a French edition, calls itself a transcription for piano by the composer. In fact the original version is the piano edition published in England, where Gounod had gone to escape the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Then Gounod orchestrated it, and then published the French edition, The first four bars of the French edition are not in the English edition. I have played all of the above with a member of my congregation, the principal bassoonist with a little local group called the BSO. :wink:
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

No, not the Mozart. It's too cliche. Please do not do it. I love bassoon literature so here are some suggestions, but please no Mozart.

Weber: Bassoon Concerto in F major
Hummel: Bassoon Concerto in F major
Elgar: Romance for Bassoon and Orchestra
Glinka: Trio pathetique for Clarinet, Bassoon, and Piano
Richard Strauss: Duett-Concertino for Clarinet, Bassoon, and String Orchestra
Poulenc: Sonata for Clarinet and Bassoon
tickle88
regular poster

Post by tickle88 »

Very good suggestions by allegroamabile, if you have a (very good) clarinetist, though I think he's a little hard on Mozart. It is an early work. I forgot to mention 5 Sacred Trees by John Williams, originally for Bassoon and Orchestra, Arr. for b and Piano. Not easy, not at all in his Star Wars style. Challenging for bassoonist, pianist, and audience.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Naw, the Mozart is a good piece, it is just overplayed. So playing it at a bassoon recital would be too cliche. Mozart's Clarinet Concerto is even in a worse situation. I practiced on it so much (hours and hours a day) I have just gotten sick of it. Beethoven's Fifth would be amazing piece if weren't played so often.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

If you want something that's not overplayed, why not try my "Three Memories" for bassoon and piano?

Those have been played exactly once.

:D
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

No, not the Mozart. It's too cliche. Please do not do it. I love bassoon literature so here are some suggestions, but please no Mozart.
Precisely why I put the " :P"! :)
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I don't think Notnd caught that.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Saint-Saens' Sonata is beautiful, and also there is an Romance by Elgar. Galliard sonatas make for a great Baroque start, but the edition IMSLP has is with unrealized basso continuo.

IMSLP has two pieces I don't know, so you might download and see:

Mercy, Louis, Sonata no.1 for bsn and continuo (Baroque, score + parts)
Theuss, Carl Theodor, Sonata for bsn or cello (Classical, parts)

If you have a clarinettist, try Molbe, Songe (here at IMSLP). I don't know it at all, but I have played another work by Molbe that was very nice.
bsteltz
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Damn…

Actually, the Mozart quartet might be an idea.
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

tickle88 wrote:Hindemith Sonata (Difficult piano part), Koechlin Op. 34 (3 pieces--short but lovely- very spare piano part) Arrangement of Rachmaninov Vocalise (Op.34 no.14-available here as a cello transcription, but commercially available for bassoon) Gounod, Marche Funebre d'une Marionnette, available here as piano solo, not hard to work up for Bassoon and Piano. The version here, a French edition, calls itself a transcription for piano by the composer. In fact the original version is the piano edition published in England, where Gounod had gone to escape the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. Then Gounod orchestrated it, and then published the French edition, The first four bars of the French edition are not in the English edition. I have played all of the above with a member of my congregation, the principal bassoonist with a little local group called the BSO. :wink:
Thanks! I have two and a half hours of recital so, these pieces would be helpful. Could you tell me something about 'BSO' ? :P
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

steltz wrote:Saint-Saens' Sonata is beautiful, and also there is an Romance by Elgar. Galliard sonatas make for a great Baroque start, but the edition IMSLP has is with unrealized basso continuo.

IMSLP has two pieces I don't know, so you might download and see:

Mercy, Louis, Sonata no.1 for bsn and continuo (Baroque, score + parts)
Theuss, Carl Theodor, Sonata for bsn or cello (Classical, parts)

If you have a clarinettist, try Molbe, Songe (here at IMSLP). I don't know it at all, but I have played another work by Molbe that was very nice.
Thanks! I colud have a clarinetist with my recital, so Molbe would good.
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

allegroamabile wrote:I don't think Notnd caught that.
Mozart's a great piece, but somehow I won't play it in my recital. I think it's quite boring (since every bassoon concert I know plays Mozart). :D