Tchaikovsky: Nur wer die sehnsucht kennt (piano transcriptio

Moderator: kcleung

Swimdad09

Tchaikovsky: Nur wer die sehnsucht kennt (piano transcriptio

Post by Swimdad09 »

I have an LP recording of Tchaikovsky's "Nur wer die sehnsucht kennt" ("None but the Lonely Heart" or "None but the Lonely Know") in a piano solo version transcribed (and played) by Robert Riefling. Riefling was a Scandinavian pianist, student of Wilhelm Kempff (this same record was my introduction to Kempff's Bach transcriptions). I have looked for the score of Riefling's transcription for years, with no success. I don't even know if it was ever published, and, if it was published, I don't know if it is in the public domain (Riefling died in the 1980's). I would greatly appreciate any help in locating this score. (I have done Google searches, with no sightings.)
Olaf Eggestad
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Tchaikovsky: Nur wer die sehnsucht kennt (piano transcri

Post by Olaf Eggestad »

Dear Swimdad09,

your 4 years old entry was made known to me today by the National Library of Norway, as I am currently writing a PhD on Mr. Riefling. In fact, its (the thesis') title will be «Nur wer die Sehnsucht kennt».
I have good news for you. The transcription was published in 1959 at Lyche Publ., Copenhagen. I am told by Mr. Øivind Norheim at the National Library to give you his email address for further information: Øyvind Norheim [Oyvind.Norheim@nb.no]. I am sure he can mail you a copy of the piece.
Now, in return I hope you might help completing my/Riefling's discography by providing specifications on the LP you are referring to (when, which company, content). That would make my day!

Beste wishes,
Olaf
ilmarinen

Post by ilmarinen »

Dear Swimdad09 and Olaf,

I have the sheet music, bought it 2 days ago in Copenhagen. I'll try and scan it one of these days (haven't got access to a scanner right now.)

Not sure if I can upload it here because of copyright reasons? In that case I cans end it privately.

Cheers,
Ilmarinen
Swimdad10

Post by Swimdad10 »

Thanks to both of you. I heartily apologize for not responding in a timely manner; I hadn't checked this site (obviously) in years, in fact had given up on ever getting a reply

Olaf, I hope I'm not too late. I will try to get you the information for your discography this afternoon; the record happens to be in a room where my granddaughters are taking a nap, so I can't get to it right away. I can tell you at this time that the recording was titled "Piano Encores," and was one of several recordings that my parents bought at a grocery store in the small town where I grew up (this was late 1950's).The recordings were put out by the "National Academy Record Club," and cost about half of what a classical LP from a major label would have cost (the cover says the recordings were "recorded, custom processed and pressed by RCA Victor Division of Radio Corp. of America"). Milton Cross provided the liner notes, and in the other 3 records we have from this source, the orchestra was the Olso Philharmonic, conducted by either Odd Gruner-Hegge or Oivin Fjelstad. As soon as I can put my hands on the record, I will advise you of the order of the selections (I know what they are, but I'm not certain of the sequence of the first 2 pieces on side 2). Also, I will check into the e-mail you provided me at the National Library.

Again, thanks to both of you. Please don't be thrown off by my new user name; the site couldn't connect my user name with my e-mail address, so I had to create a new user name.
Swimdad10

Post by Swimdad10 »

On the front cover, the record is titled "All Time Piano Encores." However, the back cover, the spine, and the labels on both sides of the record all are titled simply "Piano Encores." The copyright date is 1959; no information is given as to when the recording session(s) actually took place, or where. Liner notes, as I indicated in my previous post, are by Milton Cross, who for many years was the voice of the Metropolitan Opera live broadcasts. The record is a "Product of the National Academy Record Club." As I also indicated earlier, my parents bought this (and 3 other records from this same producer) in a local grocery store; I don't know if they ever were intended for sale in a record store. However, in my personal estimation the participation of RCA, Milton Cross, and of course Robert Riefling raises them above the level of the run-of-the-mill mass market records that were usually sold in grocery and dime stores in that era.

The selections are as follows:
Side 1
1. Chopin, "Revolutionary" Etude, Op. 10, No. 12
2. Tchaikovsky, "None But the Lonely Heart" (arr. Robert Riefling)
3. Liszt, Liebestraum No. 3 in A-flat Major
4. Brahms, Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 39, No. 15
5. Schubert, Impromptu No. 3 in E-flat
6. Beethoven, Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp Minor ("Moonlight"): first movement
Side 2
1. Rachmaninoff, Prelude in C-sharp Minor
2. Chopin, Etude No. 19, Op. 25, No. 7
3. Paderewski, Minuet in G, Op. 14, No. 1
4. de Falla, Ritual Fire Dance
5. Bach, Sicilienne (arr. W. Kempff)

Again, my sincerest apologies for not responding earlier. I realize at this late date you have probably finished your project, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to get you this information when you needed it. Hope everything went well for you.