Piece for Sop, Guitar, Violin, Clarinet

Moderator: kcleung

genericguy
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Piece for Sop, Guitar, Violin, Clarinet

Post by genericguy »

Hi,
As part of a school group, we have put together a small ensemble (again :| ) consisting of a Soprano voice, Acoustic Guitar, Violin and Clarinet.
Are there any suggestions for a piece we could play (preferably on IMSLP)? I was thinking maybe an aria from an Opera wih some sort of reduction, but am struggling to find any.

Thanks!
<3 Music
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Piece for Sop, Guitar, Violin, Clarinet

Post by steltz »

Nothing for that specific combination, I'm afraid. But you could adapt the following (assuming that your guitarist can figure out chords and notes to play from a continuo part -- this would be similar to continuo played by lute players):

Handel, 9 Deutschen Arien for soprano, violin, continuo -- add a clarinet part to do notes taken from the continuo part.
Hayes, A Song for St. Cecilia Day, soprano, flute, strings, continuo -- have the violinist play the flute part, give the clarinet the most important of the string parts, and have the continuo cover the rest.
Hayes, Why Lysidas should man be vain, originally 2 violins, give clarinet 2nd violin part -- cello is probably part of continuo anyway
Krieger, Sage mir, clarinet plays 2nd vln part, guitar does continuo
Vivaldi, Lungi dal vago volto, clarinet and guitar would have to be the "continuo"

I'm afraid that's all I can come up with.
bsteltz
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Piece for Sop, Guitar, Violin, Clarinet

Post by aldona »

This is probably a piece that comes up whenever the combination of soprano + clarinet is mentioned - but you could do something creative with "Der Hirt Auf dem Felsen" (Shepherd on the Rock), D.965 by Schubert.

You could divide up the piano part between the guitar and the violin somehow.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis