Solti
No votes
Tennstedt
No votes

Total votes: 6

JMB

Favorite Mahler Interpreter

Post by JMB »

There are a lot of Mahler interpreters who have recorded the whole Mahler cycle. But there is no record which is similar to another. I tried to pick out the most interesting records and I hope, I haven't forgot any important interpreter.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

The problem with a poll like this is that it assumes that people have listened to at least several complete Mahler cycles (i assume it's the symphonies you're talking about) which is an AWFUL lot of music, all 9 are large even by late romantic standards (most running well past 60 mins) and so it requires a very large investment of time (plus money) to get to know any of the recordings, not to mention comparing different versions.
JMB

Post by JMB »

I haven't heared all of these, but from everyone of these interpreters, I heard some Mahler symphonies, and I think you get an idea of how the other symphonies will sound.
Maybe we choose one symphony and compare it with other interpretations of it?
Swimdad09

Post by Swimdad09 »

Shouldn't Bruno Walter be on this list? Also, what about Otto Klemperer (thinking of his recording of the Second Symphony)?
JMB

Post by JMB »

They haven't recorded the whole cycle, have they?
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Favorite Mahler Interpreter

Post by sbeckmesser »

Missing from the choices in the poll are two superb Mahlerites: Michael Tilson-Thomas and Benjaman Zander. With the 8th Symphony MTT has just completed his Mahler cycle with the San Francisco Symphony (it includes a remastering of the BMG recording of Das klagende Lied as well as an "all-male" performance of Das Lied von der Erde). This cycle has the best yet recorded sound quality, especially in when heard in surround sound, easily beating out the erratic sound quality in Gergiev's intermittently interesting surround-sound cycle with the London Symphony. It's not clear whether Zander will actually complete his fine-sounding cycle for Telarc, since the 8th is expensive to rehearse and record if not taped in conjunction with a live performance. I'd avoid spending money on most of the recently completed cycle by Boulez, who at times seems to have no idea how to make the music work (e.g. the completely clueless 7th Symphony).

--Sixtus
Last edited by sbeckmesser on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I'm abstaining (and another vote for Bruno Walter goes missing). The poll question as specified is "favourite Mahler interpreter", not "favourite cycle of all nine Mahler symphonies by the one conductor". In fact, I have a number of different composers for the Mahler symphonies, because I am not generally a believer in one performance or interpretation being supreme over all others - especially for all nine works. By my reading, that shouldn't disqualify conductors who haven't recorded all nine. Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

I have, and have listened to, all the commercial Mahler recordings by all the conductors in the poll and I agree that there are some great interpretations by people who either have not done a whole Mahler "cycle" or who are not well known or otherwise associated with fine Mahler conducting. As an example of the former, Carlo Maria Giulini recorded very good versions of 1 and 9. One of the greatest of Mahler interpreters, Jascha Horenstein, isn't in the poll. Unfortunately he didn't get to record all the symphonies (his late, stereo versions of 1 and 3 are superb). And an example of a conductor not known for Mahler conducting is Ivan Fischer, who is slowly working his way through the symphonies in a surprisingly fine surround sound cycle with the Budapest Festival Orchestra. Then there are those conductors who should never have been allowed to look at the scores, much less record them. Ozawa and Maazel spring immediately to mind here. And Boulez' recorded work with Mahler I find to be often overrated. The clarity some people claim to hear in Boulez recordings is likely as much a product of the sound engineers as the conductor. And Boulez too often ignores Mahler's express wishes when it comes to tempo modifications. Boulez would probably be horrified to have similar violations perpetrated on his (Boulez's) own compositions.

--Sixtus
Last edited by sbeckmesser on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Having played most of the Mahler symphonies and owning no less than 3 complete 'cycles' of them, I have to say I believe the recordings of Levi with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra to be among the best available. Every CD they release (ASO) is amazing and competes with or bests any other orchestra in the world. I also think their recording of Ravel's complete Daphnis et Chloé is the best ever issued on CD, even over New York, Boston and yes, Montreal.
Sergeï
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Sergeï »

I do believe Michael Gielen should be on the list (and he has done a complete cycle). His 1st symphony is, in my opinion, particularly good :)
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora
dazvc1

Post by dazvc1 »

What about Bruno Walter and Pierre Boulez?
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

I've noted my distaste for much of Boulez's Mahler in other posts in this thread. However, I find Walter fascinating since he is one of the two principal close disciples of Mahler who made modern-sounding recordings of his music (the other is Otto Klemperer). There are no other conductors as close to Mahler who made recordings, except for Mengelberg. It is possible that Walter actually heard Mahler conduct some of the pieces he (Walter) later recorded (Symphonies 1, 2, 4, and 5). It is also possible that he might have heard Mahler in his last days performing at the piano Das Lied von der Erde and the 9th Symphony, both of which were premiered after the composer's death with Walter conducting. Walter's recordings of these works are instructive as to how possibly Mahler wanted them to work (the commercially issued rehearsal of the 9th is also of historical importance). Walter's first (VIenna) recording of the last movement of the 9th (the first recording of the piece) is notable for its fast tempos, almost twice as fast as some dirge-like recent recordings by others. But Walter manages to make it work. His tempi may be closer to the composer's intentions and they forcesa rethink about what the piece is about.

--Sixtus
Bamboo Boy

Post by Bamboo Boy »

I think Horenstein should be on the list. I'm not sure if I would vote for him, but I think he belongs on the list.