Name Favorite Chord

Moderator: kcleung

JSB
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Name Favorite Chord

Post by JSB »

Jivan De Wano has a book listing 561 piano chords grouped in interval stacks, based on major, minor,, dom 7th, suspensions and diminished. Every chord is based on a unique interval stack, as well as originating from a unique set of notes (or scales), as most chords are at least 5 + notes. Some radically beautiful arrangements of twisted dom7th chords with every kind of alteration. I personally am exploring chords like the #9, but chords that have a 5th and a sharp 5th, or two 7ths etc..the above dim with a major 7th or an augmented maj 7th is quite uncommon.. or just check out wagner, or bach
reiner torheit
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by reiner torheit »

Eb major.

Lovely chord, that :)
jsnfmn
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jsnfmn »

I've always been overly fond of a major chord with added tritone, e.g. D, F#, G#, A as it appears in my favorite occurrence of it in Mahler 6 just before the end of the first movement, 2 measures before rehearsal 45. Of course, here the G# resolves down to F#, which itself almost immediately changes to F, the major-minor motto. I think there are examples of this chord appearing not as melodic appogiaturas in Mahler's music, but as a harmonic entity; and there are certainly many more as we move into expressionism and the second Viennese school and beyond.