A little Horn help?

Moderator: kcleung

Alex Srhs

A little Horn help?

Post by Alex Srhs »

Hey I'm having a bit of trouble finding some good Horn in F solo pieces. These full scores are overwhelming, anyone know of some good single instrumented (F Horn) songs on here?

Thanks in Advance.
Alex
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. There are a few horn pieces here: http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_Compositi ... g_the_Horn. (The mozart concerti are just scores as you say.) http://www.mutopiaproject.org has a few others not listed here that you may want to check out. Also keep in mind that IMSLP is still quite young. In a few years time I'm betting that the selection will greatly improve. Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?
Alex Srhs

Post by Alex Srhs »

Well I'm not really searching for a whole wind ensemble, just myself. I'm looking for any notable Horn in F solo/meledy parts.

Heres a few specific peices I'm looking for:
1812 Overature
Siegfried Horn Call
Any John Williams piece
Gustav Holsts Planet Suite (Particularly Jupiter)
Robert Schumann Concert for Four Horns Op.86

Any additional songs are appreciated.
Alex
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

All of those (not sure about the Siegfried Horn Call) are originally for full orchestra, and while there may be arrangements for solo horn (plus piano) you'll do very well to find one that's pd.

If you just want to find the tunes, then it shouldn't be too hard to go through the score/piano redustion(most of which are avalible) and find them, but if you're looking for something vaguely performable you'll probably have to pay for it or arrange it yourself (and avoid John Williams)
Alex Srhs

Post by Alex Srhs »

ok, thanks. I'll try out some of the full scores on here.

Also, why avoid the John Williams peices?
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

they're still under copyright, which means that you won't be able to find free scores for them and even if you do then it's illegal to make an unauthorised arrangement of any of his music. You may still be able to buy arangements though.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

If you can find a friend who sings tenor, and a pianist to accompany the two of you, then check out Schubert's song "Auf dem Strom" (D.943). It is a very nice (if somewhat long) piece which gives about equal opportunity to the vocal solo and the horn in F.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Alex Srhs

Post by Alex Srhs »

Thanks, I've actually recently been asked to play in a choral concert, this may come in handy. I'm looking it up now.
Alex
Alex Srhs

Post by Alex Srhs »

I'm having trouble finding it, do you have, or know of a link to the sheet music?
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

Should be on IMSLP...I distinctly remember posting it....check the list of Schubert works by Deutsch number (D.943)

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

here it is...but it looks like it was actually horn in E, not horn in F.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Auf_dem_Strom_%28 ... C_Franz%29

whoops...my bad. :(

aldona