Brahms Double Concerto Manuscript

Moderator: kcleung

Generoso
active poster

Brahms Double Concerto Manuscript

Post by Generoso »

I have found the Brahms Double Concerto for violin and cello and orchestra in manuscript form. The address is:

http://www.juilliardmanuscriptcollection.org/home.html

I do not know how it is possible to bring it to this site. And I also do not know if it passes the public domain tests.

But if someone who knows more than I can find out and bring it here. (If it passes the tests) that would be great.
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

That's a fascinating collection of manuscripts there, but i don't think it would be right to bring them over to imslp, firstly i think that most of the works are already here in printed score, which is more easily understandable, if less historic/interesting. Secondly, getting the files would be hard, you would have to get each page seperately then turn them into pdf, and i can't even see an easy way of getting at the images.

It's very interesting looking at the original manuscripts though, very good find!
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

The only issues with bringing it over to IMSLP are 1) the amount of work a potential contributor would have to do, since you'd have to capture individual pages and load into a PDF; and 2) potentially huge file sizes. There is no copyright on Brahms' manuscript anywhere in the world.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

All this is great news! Now if someone knows how to get those files. Please do tell. And I can give it a try get the whole Concerto manuscript. I just don't have the knowledge yet on the procedure from this particular site. Thanks in for your input.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

hmm... it's a flash site. I have no idea on how to dload images from it.
scottorr
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by scottorr »

Well, the only thing I can think of is that for each page you take a screen capture of it and then paste it into an image-editing program and then crop it and then save it.

That is of course very time consuming, so it's more a last option if there is a way to manually get the files.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Can't you save a flash webpage to your computer? Or am I thinking of Java or something... I knew I could save something like that.

If you can and someone has flash software I'm sure it can be extracted.
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

Yes, I was trying to work on that yesterday. One would have to use a Flash Decompiler to convert it from SWF to VLA and then open it in Macromedia Flash and then see where it gets the image from. In my research I think the images are hosted seperately from the flash [IE not embedded] but I cannot be sure.
If that made sense to anyone good luck with working on it.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Made perfect sense, but.... yeh..... no idea apart from that :D
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Using Wireshark I watched where it was pulling them from. I'm sure many of the others follow a similar pattern. Enjoy!

http://www.juilliardmanuscriptcollectio ... O_p003.jpg
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

Alright. I can put this one together if no one else has started or wants to.
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

horndude77? Is there anyway you can see where they are pulling the images from when you zoom in? Obviously they are of a larger size than 600 because you can zoom quite a bit without losing detail. The 600px images are not good enough to make a decent PDF.
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »