Help Indentifying Music

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Help Indentifying Music

Post by allegroamabile »

Can anybody tell me what the fifth track of this album is? I think it is labeled wrongly because it says it is Mendelssohn's Military Overture.

http://www.amazon.com/Schoepper-Vol-Rob ... -1-catcorr
sbeckmesser
active poster

Re: Help Indentifying Music

Post by sbeckmesser »

The Amazon listing doesn't claim that the piece is by Mendelssohn. And there are harmonic slideslips near the end of the excerpt that are typical of mid 20th century quasi-pops composition (e.g. Leroy Anderson) and definitely not mid-19th Century. Neither are the rhythms typical for the earlier era. There are other "Military Overtures" out there, as can be seen by a Google search of the term (include the quotes).

--Sixtus
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Thanks. The site where I downloaded the track did say it was by Mendelssohn. So I was skeptic for the same reasons you mentioned above.
DaveF
regular poster

Re: Help Identifying Music

Post by DaveF »

The previous track, which the listing claims as the third movement of Tchaikovsky 6, isn't that either. It could very well be by Mendelssohn (not his "Military Overture", though, as he didn't write one - a Trumpet Overture, op.101, but it's not that.) Bit more military precision needed in these listings, methinks.

DF
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Dave,

Actually, Mendelssohn did write a “Militair Ouverture” – it’s the Nocturno for wind and brass, opus 24 (or P 1 in the new MWV catalogue listing by Ralf Werner, which I’ve spent a few days compiling data on and wikifying for IMSLP). In addition to several (as yet unpublished) marches for brass band, there’s also the War March of the Priests from Athalie, but that’s for symphony orchestra.

Anyway, in my experience this piece does not sound like any of Mendelssohn’s works in any shape and form. Unless Felix sat down to compose one day, having had someone slip a bolt of lysergic acid diethylamine into his tea.

Regards, Philip
Last edited by pml on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
PML (talk)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

And P1 is much more commonly known as "harmoniemusik"
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Yeah, the claimed Tchaikovsky Sixth track is Mendelssohn's Overture for Winds, Op. 24. But I must agree with sbeckmesser, there are parts of that Military Overture that sound like Leroy Anderson. I listened to the whole recording, and I can't help thinking that it reminds of Bugler's Holiday. :)