Musopen Recording Project

Moderator: kcleung

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Musopen Recording Project

Post by horndude77 »

An interesting project to create public domain recordings: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Mus ... copyrights
BKhon

Re: Musopen Recording Project

Post by BKhon »

Interesting... and this is to suggest the possibility of putting these recordings on IMSLP? Interesting... I see no immediate problems with that. Of course, I don't think the recordings would be public domain. They would probably be under a creative commons license. But copyright law in terms of recording is a little strange (wasn't covered until 1972), so I'm not too familiar with the terminology.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by KGill »

Yes, they would be put under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 if they were uploaded here. In some countries it's actually impossible to release works by living people into the public domain.
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

Creative Commons has been exploring other licences in order to get as close to public domain as possible for those countries (see http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/). I don't think they're suggesting general use for it yet though.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I noticed one thing on MusOpen that is alarming from a copyright standpoint: The performance by the Skidmore Orchestra of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is of the Ravel orchestration - which is still very much under copyright in the USA. Although a performance of extremely dubious quality, I am a nonetheless little surprised that the ASCAP gang hasn't noticed.