what is Corni in F?

Moderator: kcleung

hlwiedrick
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

what is Corni in F?

Post by hlwiedrick »

what is Corni in F?

I am working on Mozart Symphony No.6 in F Major, K.43 Andante, it is for Flauti, Corni in F, Violin I, Violin II, Viola I, Viola II, Basso.
But I do not know what is the Corni in F.

Anyone can help me? thanks!
hlwiedrick

Re: what is Corni in F?

Post by hlwiedrick »

I find it:

'Corni' is 'Horns' in Italian

A reed instrument, related to the oboe, but deeper in pitch;
the English horn
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Actually, in that context it's more likely to mean a rather different kind of horn (sometimes known as the 'French horn'). An English horn would almost certainly be designated by 'Corno inglese'; they almost never come in pairs, and are unlikely to appear in an orchestra that small (especially in that era). Not only that, but their key (F) is never specified, because all English horns are in F, while 'French' horns come in many different keys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_(instrument)
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Since you are working with a score, be aware that the "in F" business means that the horn line(s) in the score are transposing. What looks like a C in the horn line is actually the F-natural below. Any other notated horn pitch will also come out a perfect 5th lower when played.

--Sixtus
Nat682

Post by Nat682 »

English horn (the double reed instrument) would be corno inglese. Corni in F refers to horns in F (often incorrectly called French horns). In that time period, it referred to a natural horn that was not very different than a hunting horn.

And for future reference, "Flauti" means flutes, "Flauto piccolo" is piccolo, "Oboi" is oboes, "Corno inglese" is English horn, "Clarinetti" is clarinets (obviously), "Clarinetto basso" is bass clarinet, "Fagotti" is bassoons, "Contrafagotto" is contrabassoon, "Corni" is horns, "Trombe" is trumpets, "Tromboni" is trombones, "Grancassa" is bass drum, "Piatti" is cymbals, "Arpa" is harp, "Pianoforte" is piano, "Violini" is violins, "Viola" is violas, "Violoncelli" is cellos, and "Bassi" is basses.
Last edited by Choralia on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo: Violi --> Viola
Llh1002

Post by Llh1002 »

I know this is rather late. I noticed you mentioned that the French horn is transposed to F. In the orchestration of the piece composers rarely transpose the covert pitch for French Hornists. The French Horn player usually does that for his/her self. But in regards to your question above, Corni in F is a French Horn (however it is usually referred to as the Horn)