String and Percussion Orchestral Pieces?

Moderator: kcleung

Xaliber
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

String and Percussion Orchestral Pieces?

Post by Xaliber »

Our orchestra is going to do a string and percussion concert. We have wind/brass section, but most of them aren't going to perform on this concert (perhaps only 1 as solo, if needed).

Could I ask for some suggestions? Anything for string and percussion pieces (or if it includes harp, piano, harpsichord, it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't involve wind/brass). Could be pop/movie scores, or classical...
NLewis
active poster

Re: String and Percussion Orchestral Pieces?

Post by NLewis »

Hi Xaliber. I think this largely depends upon the level of your orchestra. One piece that immediately comes to mind that uses strings and percussion, but no winds, is Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celsta by Bela Bartok. It is, however, a highly advanced piece. Have you considered possibly using a piece that requires very few winds, and doing an arrangement for strings and percussion? This is also a possibility.
Xaliber

Post by Xaliber »

Few winds are okay, but not much... I also thought of Bartok's composition, but we need more ideas. The level of the pieces (whether it is advanced or difficult) should be no problem, we're collecting some suggestion first. :)
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by panda »

The Carmen ballet by Rodion Shchedrin (1967) for strings and percussion comes to mind - this was very popular 20 years or so ago and there are a few recordings of it. He uses music not just from the opera but other Bizet works.