Ferdinand Hiller - serenade?

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ferdinand Hiller - serenade?

Post by Eric »

There is a "serenade" for violin in A-flat major "by Ferdinand Hiller", published 1883 by Fischer, at Memory.loc.gov that looks like it could be the violin part from the middle movement of an orchestral work (there are indications for what the flute, clarinet, bassoon, etc. are doing) though I do not know Hiller's music well enough to identify what work it might fit into. It's not his symphony Opus 67 or his Fantasy-piece for violin and orchestra opus 152; perhaps from his 3rd piano concerto, or from a choral work- need to look there next, and will do so...

of course it might also be from an orchestral arrangement of a chamber or piano work e.g., which makes this harder still. Something originally published before or in 1883 assuming the attribution to Hiller is genuine etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. * n * n ^ n.

The main theme, after an unmeasured cadenza and two bars, begins (Allegretto, A-flat again in Fischer's version if not necessarily in the presumed original; in Lilypondish notation- sorry!) Es8- C' rest as F rest des rest Bes8.[ c16 bes8] as

(and so forth )
(Which see. Will try to solve the problem myself still, of course. Thanks!)
(Hrm. I see our list of Hiller's works could use an accounting of his works without opus number and is actually not as complete as I thought. Well, it's (general it's, not specific it's :) ) all a matter of works in progress. This is a good thing to my mind. Cheers!)
Eric S.