a real Schubert? or a fake? what do you think?

Moderator: kcleung

Vivaldi
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Vivaldi »

Hi emeraldimp,
Yes, I see your point. One thing I'm concerned is, while they can't restrict us on what we do to the scores once we purchased them, which could be distributing them for free because they are in the first place, I'm worried about what legal action they can take (if there are any lawyers willing to take their case) as this runs contrary to their business model, which is to make a profit out of public domain sheet music?
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

Vivaldi wrote:Hi emeraldimp,
Yes, I see your point. One thing I'm concerned is, while they can't restrict us on what we do to the scores once we purchased them, which could be distributing them for free because they are in the first place, I'm worried about what legal action they can take (if there are any lawyers willing to take their case) as this runs contrary to their business model, which is to make a profit out of public domain sheet music?
As has been discussed in other threads, they can always sue, whether or not they have a legitimate basis for doing so. Any particular case would have to be judged on the facts, of course.

But if they're worried about their business model failing, the much better solution would be to rethink the business model. (Though other companies and site that sell public domain items generally seem to be doing just fine; look at Dover, for example, or 8notes, or sheetmusicplus. Granted not all of the items are PD, but many are.)
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Yes, and not forgetting Edwin F. Kalmus whose sheet music collection consists mainly of PD music works.
However, sheetmusicplus do sell music that is still copyrighted, for example music published by Boosey & Hawkes, Schott and Baerenreiter Verlag.