Bach Partita in C minor

Moderator: kcleung

XKYing2012
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Bach Partita in C minor

Post by XKYing2012 »

I'm doing Amus AMEB (that's Australian Music Examination Board for all those who aren't Australian), and I'm playing this song as my list A. It doesn't really matter if you're Aussie or not, I NEED HELP. My teacher has to put my name in for the exam by Feburary 12 (exam in May) otherwise i have to wait until October...

1. How to play the 3rd section really nice and clearly, because I am really suffering in that.
2. Analysis of the song.

I'm using Tvi Erez's recording (youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu9fhRtH ... re=mh_lolz) for reference. I can never grasp his clearness of texture... :x
sbeckmesser
active poster

Re: Bach Partita in C minor

Post by sbeckmesser »

Beware of making any recording a model for your own interpretation. Erez' recording is clear because he favors the right hand too much throughout most of it. The contrapuntal interplay between the voices, particularly in the final section, is thereby mostly lost. He also performs incorrectly every ornament and cadential trill.

Bach's designation for this movement, Sinfonia, at the time was the Italian word usually applied to overtures to operas. The movement itself is a French Overture with the aria-like Andante section separating the dotted-rhythm introduction and the fugal 3rd section you're having trouble with. Keyboard overtures like this one can be considered reductions of a full-orchestra texture, with clear sections where there is a full orchestra (the first part), a solo instrument plus accompaniment (as in the Andante) or where there's a concerto-like alternation between a reduced, solistic texture and a full-orchestra sound (as in the 3rd section). You might want to listen to the first movements of Bach's four Orchestral Suites too see how full orchestrated French Overtures work. Hope this helps. And good luck!

--Sixtus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_overture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBOrdexVDGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0vlihBi7pY
ccdrz

Post by ccdrz »

1. don't call it a "song" ... I don't mean to be snotty, but if you want to avoid being judged by the snotty, use the word "song" only for works/pieces that involve a piano and vocalist (or sometimes some other instrument)
2. I could be totally wrong but the youtube recording sounds like it was recorded on a digital piano ... perhaps even with midi editing ... or maybe he just went in and tweaked the EQ. There's definitely digital reverb on it. This could skew the audio in such a way that would be lest advantageous than just recording yourself playing and judging that (which you might already be doing).
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I can't be of any help with the technical issues of the piece (not a pianist) but I agree with the above posts that this recording is definitely inferior, if you're going to use a model at all (which as Sixtus indicates may not be the best idea) you should get a good one. For instance, the recordings of Gould and Schiff are both quite good and also of extremely different character, so their use might give you a fuller sense of what the piece can potentially sound like. I'd imagine both could be found on YouTube.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

ccdrz wrote: the youtube recording sounds like it was recorded on a digital piano
I don't want to beat what should remain a dead horse but I agree that the piano sound in the introduction is not Bosendorfer-worthy, as might be implied by shots showing the piano maker's name. The intro has that sampled-piano quality typical of cheap electronic keyboards. Then again even the most expensive electronic keyboards, like the fascinating Roland V-Piano, would be cheap by Bosendorfer standards.

The video itself is highly produced. Anybody notice that what should be a clearly visible left hand is altogether missing at around 2:50 in? This is clear evidence we're not seeing a live performance of what we are hearing. No wonder he turned off the ability to comment on the video.

--Sixtus
ttopham

Post by ttopham »

I strongly agree with all the above posts - that's a terrible recording of the Partita. I hope your teacher didn't recommend it! There are many different interpretations available, particularly for the opening Grave. Have a listen to as many as possible and, with your teacher, make up your mind about your own way to play it, but it should sound very pompous and ceremonial.

I imagine by now that you've done your exam - how did it go?
XKYing2012
regular poster

Post by XKYing2012 »

Oh. err. I did my 3rd attempt at the diploma yesterday, and I changed pieces, so I didn't play this piece.. I'll tell you how I went when i get the results.