Rheinberger Op 38 Piano Quartet

Moderator: kcleung

stez
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Rheinberger Op 38 Piano Quartet

Post by stez »

I wonder if any Rheinberger expert out there is able to clarify something for me. Having obtained the score from IMSLP files, I am now preparing this quite lovely quartet for performance and wonder why the third movement Menuetto in the downloaded version differs so markedly from the third movement in the only performance available on Youtube (Gobel-Trio Berlin).

Does anyone know if Rheinberger wrote two versions of the third movement?

I should also add that they are completely different movements, not two differing versions of the same thing.

Cheers,

stez
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Rheinberger Op 38 Piano Quartet

Post by coulonnus »

I found another performance here http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/rhein ... uartet.htm with the "genuine" Menuetto. So not all performers adhere to the Youtube variant :-)
stez

Post by stez »

Many thanks for your efforts, coulonnus. I wonder if you could kindly explain your use of inverted comments around the word 'genuine'.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

"Genuine" means that the other performance I found agrees with the Menuetto I found in the Augener edition here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Quartet,_Op ... f_Gabriel)

I hope I made the "correct" score/sound association. :-)
stez

Post by stez »

Thank you, coulonnus. A question: how does one edit one's posts? I have just noticed a small 'lapsus calami' when I referred to inverted comments rather than commas.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Each post has an edit button at the top. You have only 24 hours to edit the post -- unfortunately, we have had too many spammers who write innocuous posts and then go in later and add all sorts of links to unrelated things.
bsteltz
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Regarding the Rheinberger Quartet: I believe the Youtube posting may be flawed, or else the Gobel recording. The third movement on that recording seems to be in a key unrelated to the rest of the quartet, and the music has little if any of Rheinberger's compositional personality. After all, if Amazon can post the quartet as being in E-flat minor, certainly a recording engineer can mix up the sound files.
stez

Post by stez »

An interesting point, jossuk. I have contacted the Rheinberger Society in Liechtenstein but they have not deigned to respond. I will go with the Augener version (as I would have in any case), but was quite keen to clear up this anomaly. Thank you to all for the kind assistance.

stez
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Seems, the you-tube uploader is to blame:
At jpc.de you can find soundbites of every track for the performance with the Göbel Trio, and they play the printed Menuetto!
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/ ... um/6823721

..and you can also find the first edition at ThULB to compare to the Augener on imslp:
http://archive.thulb.uni-jena.de/hisbes ... u_00011644
stez

Post by stez »

This is most helpful, kalliwoda! I do appreciate your efforts in clarifying this for me.

Many thanks,

stez
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Kalliwoda, thanks for the link to the score on ThULB. I've uploaded the first edition to IMSLP in high resolution, black and white.

The score on ThULB contained many handwritten annotations by some unknown performer. These have been mostly removed in the version I've posted but if they may be of use or interest to anyone I can also post the unedited, color images.

Enjoy!
Cypressdome
stez

Post by stez »

I would be most interested to see these annotations, Cypressdome!
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Stez,

I've uploaded the unedited, color version. I would expect it to be available for downloading later this evening once it's been cleared by a copyright reviewer. I hope it proves to be helpful.

Cypressdome
stez

Post by stez »

Many thanks, Cypressdome! Most interesting.