Help with translating the plot summary of a Schubert Opera

Moderator: kcleung

Graham1973
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Help with translating the plot summary of a Schubert Opera

Post by Graham1973 »

I am thinking of doing a wikipedia article on Schubert's two act Singspeil "Der Freunde Von Salamanka" (The Friend from Salamanca).

But my rather sketchy knowledge of German is not sufficient to allow me to translate the text on page 2 of the PDF ("Vorbemerkung")

If someone can translate the text I'd be very greatful.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Re: Help with translating the plot summary of a Schubert Ope

Post by sbeckmesser »

Below is Google Translate's rendering (as in render asunder) of an online plot summary in German that I found here:
http://musirony.de.tl/Die-Freunde-von-Salamanca.htm

Since the original dialogue for the opera has been lost, this plot summary had to have been derived by abstracting from the original German libretto.
http://ecards.brilliantclassics.nl/oper ... amanka.pdf

But aside from the mess created in the translation process, I do find it puzzling to note that the plot summary mentions a telephone. In any case, it is nice to know that if you swallow your nodes, friendship will conquer power (see the last line of the translation).

--Sixtus

PS: The correct translation of the opera title (Die [not Der] Freunde von Salamanka) is "The Friends [plural] from Salamanca." If I have time later today I'll have a go at your page 2 from the score.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Act I:

Humor, the three friends, Alonso, Diego and Fidelio in abundance. They give their concerns the fleeting winds, and what they need to be seen. Without dismayed they want funny chase through life.

Fidelio is currently vexed and spoiling the mood of the other. Grief is clouded his mind and his merry mood then, he admits. Count Tormes, which can not stand it, had invited three friends to a carriage ride. Tomorrow morning when the rooster cry rings out, the horn will sound and slams the stick, it should go.

Fidelio can not decide to come along. No, this is just too silly to spoil all the fun. Count Tormes tells him that he hates crickets and graces. If he does not want to come along, the ride will take place without him. Fidelio will not agree to be insured and that he can ridicule endured with patience. The Count is the thing too stupid and do not complain about the men with his presence longer. But this bad habit, he will remember. The evil spirit, he is driven, they excuse their crony Fidelio.

The Countess Olivia does not know what it is lacking. If the birds they buzzed and pigeons cooed to her, she felt light and happy, however, escaped this time. Lonely she sneaks through the rooms. Only the consolation of tears remains. Let them flow as more and sweeten the loneliness. Olivia's missing? Eusebia is concerned. A walk in the woods will make the Countess, all alone. Where the torrent foamed over rocks and lined with deep red berries, the flowers are sweeter star, yes, Olivia bored so terribly happy. But in the dark forest, it is dangerous. There are robbers. Eusebia and Laura want to hold back the Countess. This alleges their ladies, were childish and inhibit their grilling never their intention. She sits by itself and is making the planned walk in the woods.

The three friends got wind of the intention. (Eusebia on the phone with them.) A little fun before they have with the Countess. Ah, costly scare the woman and use her delusion, she Liberate is a dude, but really well done. Cocky they want to poke fun at the Count Tormes, although he has not really earned. Who wants to win must dare, is the view of Diego, but Alonso beats the heart, Friend, how will end the matter? Blessing will donate the sky rejoices Diego. Fidelio has contrived the matter, he will report back what about the attack.

Olivia strolling in the dark forest. Mild decreases down the evening, everything floats in a light blaze. The nightingales sing their rapturous songs and the Countess is doing well. Abruptly jumps out a robber behind the bush. Hey, desirable loot. "Murderers, to help her people" desperately poor Countess calls for help. Your life will spare the crook, but the doubloons, the chain and the beautiful ridge now belong to him. Glad she wants to give everything he gives her only life. Suddenly, Alonso and Fidelio are on hand to assist the Countess. The robbers - it is the disguised Diego - must arise. How pale and aghast looks from the transfer happened. The fear has taken possession of her. Effusively thanked their rescuers they were at. Her beautiful eyes penetrate deep into Alonso's heart. Gratitude they will not be accepted. Knight's duty to practice both.

Finally, people will come forth. The alcalde is also among them. We've heard Olivia's shrill cry over long distances. Who was the villain who tried this crime against her? No one knows where he went. In the forest itself holds the fiend hid. Eusebia knows the two rescuers. Invited to the castle, the Countess both. The rescue should be celebrated. In the wide halls to play and dance and cheer mix.

Act Two:

The celebration of the grape harvest is celebrated. In large baskets to collect the swelling grapes, which they rob the quick brown vine. Now is celebrated. Diego no longer wants to be murderers and robbers. Xilo has allowed him on his ass for hard riding and walking, entertaining its passengers, even on the side. He told him about the wonderful charming girl Laura. Since grace is even. Diego before you play the guitar. The game that roars so melodious, listening to the shepherdess in the bush. Your's is his songs are blaming their own desires again beautiful. Who found love, which is recovered from any pain from all worries. Dear so-golden sun lights up their hearts to new delight.

Olivia has also caught and sings of her happiness. Where she is and where she is pursuing her image of the Saviour, and of sweet love, woe is her whole heart fulfilled. Of a thousand snake bites of remorse and guilt of Alonso's heart is torn. He has made a full confession of the robbery and Olivia has forgiven him.

Diego has stopped at the alcalde to Laura's hand. His heart goes out to her in joy, but he must nourish audacious hope? The father may still have to think and just want him to tap his professional abilities, he questioned whether a son-come. Diego is training as a lawyer. Will he beat by his questions, his doubts glorious? Laura's cheeks were red with his application. But she respects his father's bidding. Now he is right in the crowd, as if it were not him. Her tears were flowing. Diego farewell, her heart is sorrowful. Do not worry, Laura! The opera audience to trust him that he will pass the exam.

Fidelio also has a sweetheart. Finally, it is the only one of the three friends did not go empty-handed. But he wants to Count Tormes before putting one over, in the avaricious intent - is behind the Countess ago - thinks Fidelio. Eusebia to help him, posing as Countess and led around the candidate a bit on the nose. After all, the Count has something to offer. He is proud of his ancestors. A Tormes has fought in the battles of the great Cid. As far as the eyes, the whole land belongs to him. Rich Hill has his stove and valuable thoroughbred horses he calls his own. In Betene not want to be Countess of Tormes? Fidelio sneers: Madame Countess, what a fate, I read in your sight confusion. Then suddenly appears the right mistress and prepared for the nightmare to an end.

So is the opera to end. All nodes swallowed deep friendship has conquered power.
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Taking the PDF of the IMSLP score, I made a TIFF image of page 2, applied an online OCR to it to turn the image into computer text, quickly cleaned up the OCR by hand and got this result from Google Translate (note, no telephones in this one). I'm hope you can clean this up yourself. The first paragraph needs the most revision. For reference, I've added the OCR German text so you can try other online translators.

--Sixtus

----------------------------------------

Countess Olivia, characterized by beauty and wealth is being courted by many cavaliers. Count Tormes, lured by the fame of her beauty, is seeking her possession, without knowing them personally. Don Alonso also loves Olivia. To foil the plans of the Count and himself, he agreed to take the bride with following his two childhood friends and Fidelio Diego plan. The latter is disguised as a robber Olivia attacked on a lonely walk in the woods, the cries for help Olivia's Fidelio and then Alonso will appear as a savior, and so advantageous to introduce to her. As Olivia, an enthusiastic nature, loves the lonely wood was made, it therefore offers the best friends the opportunity to execute their plan, and the comedy is set in such a walk successfully in Scene. Diego is about Olivia, this calls for help will be exempt from the hurrying friends, Diego escapes and after Olivia recovered from her fright, she looks back with grateful emotion to their rescuers. Meanwhile, the people come to Eusebia Olivia and the Alcalde. Eusebia recognizes in her lover's Fidelio, it is Alonso and her mistress before and everyone is pulling in joyous exultation at the nearby castle.

In the further course Olivia learns to know her supposed savior and love closer, Alonso confesses his deception, begging for her forgiveness and gained the same at the same time her hand. Don Diego has found his ideal of the Alcalde's daughter Laura, she applies for and receives, having previously filed with the girl's father a check on his ability in the judge's office, her hand and with the approval of Olivia's at the same time judgeship.

When so found three couples, seems to imagine Count Tormes to Olivia and to keep in shape all around her hand. However, it is out of Fidelio to Eusebia, responding to the joke, and brings with her before his promotion. Through the intervention of Olivia's, he learns that he has been deceived and that Olivia had already failed. He furiously away, leaving the field to his successful rival and his friends.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Gräfin Olivia, ausgezeichnet durch Schönheit und Reichthum wird von vielen Cavalieren umworben. Graf Tormes, durch den Ruf ihrer Schönheit angelockt, strebt ihren Besitz an, ohne sie noch persönlich zu kennen. Auch Don Alonso liebt Olivia. Um die Pläne des Grafen zu kreuzen und sich selbst die Braut zu erobern verabredet er mit seinen beiden Jugendfreunden Fidelio und Diego folgenden Plan. Letzterer soll als Räuber verkleidet Olivia auf einem einsamen Spaziergange im Walde überfallen, auf die Hilferufe Olivia's werden dann Alonso und Fidelio als Retter erscheinen und so sich bei ihr vortheilhaft einführen. Da Olivia, eine schwärmerische Natur, sich gerne im einsamen Walde ergeht, so bietet sie dadurch den Freunden die beste Gelegenheit zur Ausführung ihres Planes und die Comödie wird bei einem derartigen Spaziergange auch erfolgreich in Scene gesetzt. Diego überfällt Olivia, diese ruft um Hilfe, wird von den herbeieilenden Freunden befreit, Diego entflieht und nachdem sich Olivia von ihrem Schreck erholt, blickt sie mit dankbarer Rührung auf ihre Retter. Mittlerweile kommen auch die Leute Olivias mit Eusebia und dem Alkaden. Eusebia erkennt in Fidelio ihren Geliebten, stellt ihn sowie Alonso ihrer Gebieterin vor und alle ziehen in frohem Jubel auf das nahegelegene Schloss.

Im weiteren Verlaufe lernt Olivia ihren vermeintlichen Retter näher kennen und lieben; Alonso gesteht ihr seinen Betrug, fleht um ihre Verzeihung und erlangt mit derselben zugleich ihre Hand. Don Diego hat in des Alkaden Tochter Laura sein Ideal gefunden, bewirbt sich um sie und erhält, nachdem er zuvor bei dem Vater des Mädchens eine Prüfung über seine Befähigung im Richteramte abgelegt, ihre Hand und mit Bewilligung Olivia's gleichzeitig die Richterstelle.

Als sich so drei glückliche Paare gefunden, erscheint Graf Tormes um sich bei Olivia vorzustellen und in aller Form um ihre Hand anzuhalten. Er wird jedoch von Fidelio zu Eusebia geführt, die auf den Scherz eingeht und bringt bei ihr seine Werbung vor. Durch die Dazwischenkunft Olivia's erfährt er,dass er getäuscht wurde und dass Olivia bereits versagt sei. Er entfernt sich wüthend und überlässt das Feld seinem glücklichen Nebenbuhler und dessen Freunden.
Graham1973
forum adept

Post by Graham1973 »

A big thanks.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I'm having a lot of fun reading these. I love automatic online translators. :lol:

Someone should create a website that just has auto-translations of opera synopses and libretti. Can you imagine "The Magic Flute"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Forget online translators. The following opera summary of Carmen, supposedly translated from a foreign language, was issued as a test for on-air classical announcers during my stint in college radio, way before the Internet. If you could get though the 4th act without cracking up, you passed.

Act 1. Carmen is a cigarmakeress from a tobago factory who loves with Don Jose (Duet: “Talk me of my mother”). There is a noise inside the tobago factory and the revolting cigar-makeresses burst into the stage. Carmen is arrested and Don Jose is ordered to mounting guard her but Carmen subduces him and lets her escape.

Act 2. The Tavern. Carmen, Frasquito, Mercedes, Zuiniga, Morales. Carmen’s aria (“The sistrums are tinkling”). Enter Escamillio, a balls-fighter. Enter two smuglers (Duet: “We have in mind a business”) but Carmen refuses to penetrate because Don Jose has liberated her from prison. He just now arrives (Aria: “Slop, here who comes”) but here are the bugles singing his retreat. Don Jose will leave and draws his sword. Called by Carmen’s shrieks the two smuglers interfere with her but Don Jose is bound to dessert, he will follow into them (final chorus: “Opening sky wandering life”).

Act 3. A rocky landscape, the smugler’s shelter. Carmen sees her death in cards and Don Jose makes a date with Carmen for the next balls fight.

Act 4. A place in Seville. Procession of balls-fighters, the roaring of the balls is heared in the arena. Escamillio enters (Aria and chorus: “Toreador, toreador, All hail the balls of a Toreador”). Enter Don Jose (Aria: “I do not threaten, I besooch you”) but Carmen repels him wants to join with Escamillio now chaired by the crowd. Don Jose stabbs her (Aria: “Oh rupture, rupture, you may arrest me. I did kill her”) he sings “Oh my beautiful Carmen, my subductive Carmen.”

source, including lots of good soprano jokes: http://operaspoofa.wordpress.com/

--Sixtus
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Sorry to be moving further off topic but I have to put a plug in here for my favorite version of Carmen--that by Spike Jones and his City Slickers! All done (to my knowledge) without the benefits of multi-track recording or any post-production editing. True virtuosos!

http://youtu.be/T7u0ghPuaEE

Enjoy!
Cypressdome
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

In the land of horrific translations, the merely inept can seem almost serviceable. The translator must have an exceptionally keen sense of the target language, which is why online results can be so laughable. For example, the "swallowed nodes" mentioned earlier are actually "entwined knots" (or some sufficiently poetic characterization of the relationships forged in the opera).

On the other hand, the one reference to a telephone conversation may have reflected a specific performance's updating of the original setting.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

It probably wasn't hard to subduce Don Jose when he was already ordered to mount guard her.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

So when geologists talk of subduction zones, they're really speaking euphemistically?

--Sixtus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction