Elgar: Introduction and Allegro (opus 47)

Moderator: kcleung

neilthecellist
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Elgar: Introduction and Allegro (opus 47)

Post by neilthecellist »

We're playing that piece right now in my advanced string orchestra class. How would you go around to explaining the very end / the finale of the piece?

[Link changed] New link
[strike]*EDIT: IF THE LINK IS ILLEGAL, Admins, please delete if needed. I'm sorry if I caused any inconvenience.[/strike]

EDIT 2: Link proven legal due to public recording nature. See post #5.

I don't have a score of this on the internet. I mean, I have the score, but I don't have a scanner... Would be nice to give to the community.

But ANYWAY, back to the topic: For all intents and purposes, start listening at 13 minutes and 02 seconds. That is exactly one measure before the finale section of the piece. Again, the question is, how would you go about to stylistically explaining the end / the finale of the piece in terms of things such as importance? I have to figure out a way to explain this to high school students.
Last edited by neilthecellist on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I'm busy now (will listen later) but, what you have is not ogg, and lowering the bitrate doesn't avoid copyright concerns. I won't edit it out however, I'll leave the decision up to Feldmahler
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

Sorry, and you're right, I linked to the MP3.

Is it really illegal to post an audio file on the internet? Our instructor lets us... and it's a public school too.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Unfortunately, it is technically illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright owner. There are possible cases for fair use when used for educational or commentary purposes, but they are rather limited (and most of the time not the entire piece), especially since the IMSLP forums is not an educational institution ;)

Degrading of quality may or may not affect copyright status; they do according to Wikipedia with pictures (to identify a product or person), but I have not seen any other confirmation.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

IMSLP forums is not an educational institution Wink
I beg to differ, all I do is learn from what's on IMSLP.
*EDIT: IF THE LINK IS ILLEGAL, Admins, please delete if needed.
Will, do.

Neil:
You could provide a recording played by your string class, if you acquire permission off each player.
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

Hm... If I get the chance of improving the quality of each performer first, then maybe I can create a decent recording of my own, but at the moment... They're having trouble understanding even the style of Elgar. It's the first time for them playing symphonic-like material within the framework of a string ensemble.

Anyway, I'll see if I can use a friend's scanner and give IMSLP the score for Introduction and Allegro, but no guarentees. ;)

Also, would it help to say that that web link that I posted earlier is used by our school for educational purposes? Or would it still not matter because I'm putting the link on IMSLP forums?
matthew
forum adept

Post by matthew »

Free legal (i think) recording of this by the string orchestra of new york city:
http://www.sonyc.org/audiovisual.html

I think the part you're reffering to is just after 12 mins on this recording.
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Elgar: Introduction and Allegro (opus 47)

Post by sbeckmesser »

I wish the original question had been posed more clearly, since coming up with a good answer might be interesting. The passage referred to starts at 2 bars after [32], which is the start of a short stretto passage based on the main allegro theme. I'd love to know what puzzles younger players about this passage. This is a pretty advanced piece for a youth orchestra. The ones I was in would have used the Tchaikovsky Serenade instead.

--Sixtus