Can I have some suggestions about a bassoon/oboe?

Moderator: kcleung

xysonata
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Can I have some suggestions about a bassoon/oboe?

Post by xysonata »

Hi all! I'm new here.

I'm an advanced level pianist who's currently studying at a conservatory. I'm thinking of learning a new instrument since I want to be able to get a chance to join an orchestra one day, gaine more musical experience and maybe add more chances of success as a musician for my future.

As of now, I'm try to decide between getting a bassoon or an oboe.. So, can anyone here suggest me a brand and model of an affordable oboe and bassoon? I'm hoping to get one lower than $600 then maybe buy a better one once I get better or once I graduate from the conservatory.

Your replies would be greatly appreciated.
reiner torheit
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Can I have some suggestions about a bassoon/oboe?

Post by reiner torheit »

I fear that you'd only get junk if you bought a bassoon less than $600 - unless you lucked-out and bought one second-hand from someone who didn't realise the true value (for example, from a probate sale), or who had pressing reasons to make a quick sale. The other problem is that since you don't yet play, it would be hard to form an opinion about the condition of the instrument. A bassoon has a huge amount of delicate keywork on it, and all those keys need to move silently and correctly, and the pads have to close the holes perfectly. Replacing worn pads isn't a big deal if you are handy with DIY and know what you're doing - but it's not a job for first-timers. Better to sit with someone experienced and see how they do it first :)

Maybe an oboe is nearer your budget? Of course, a clarinet would have a simpler learning-curve :)
pompapah

Re: Can I have some suggestions about a bassoon/oboe?

Post by pompapah »

The Fox Basson is really greart for the price
I like the Selmer Signet oboe
both of these because these two instruments are secondary for you - the price is right

I also agree w/ the suggestion to consider clarinet - easier learning curve and more 'useful'