Moderator: kcleung

Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Catalogue of Instruments

Post by Sallen112 »

Hi IMSLP

I don't know where to put this in the IMSLP forums so I thought this would be the best place.

I have this idea but I think it has already been done out there or not to the fullest extent. I tried to seach on Google for a list but could not find anything like what I am thinking of. I wonder if on IMSLP or some other website out there is a place where they could catalogue all the major and minor composers in the western world, ranging from solo pieces for the instrument to the largest ensemble pieces written that includes the instrument. Basically I know there is the "Scores featuring this X Instrument" already on this site that includes pieces that are already in this database, but it does not include the pieces that are included in an ensemble (Symphonies, Operas etc.). I wonder if someone could expand this list to include all different genres of all composers that are out there in that particular list. The list on this website or another website could include pieces (solo to large ensembles) that ARE in Public domain, up to present day, all the way back to the Middle Ages before public domain. The website could include different categories under that instrument list that include different genres. Or another list could under the particular instrument could include pieces that are chronological in order from a particular century to now. For example of one list would be the contrabassoon or clarinet which would include pieces that might double with another instrument such as the bassoon or bass clarinet. For instruments such as the violin, that might a long time to categorize such a list.

If someone out there could that this idea to reality and maybe expand on this idea, I would be amazed! I personally would not have the time to do this but if someone out there could do it that would be incredible!