Moderator: kcleung

heatherreichgott
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Hymn arrangements/preludes for piano?

Post by heatherreichgott »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some recommendations for arrangements of hymn tunes as stand-alone pieces for the piano, in the spirit of the organ tradition of "preluding" on a hymn--using the hymn tune but branching off into different harmonizations, counter-melodies, or even creating a fugue or other new musical structure with the hymn-tune as one theme. There are tons of wonderful organ arrangements out there, but I can't find much for the piano, other than fake books, materials for beginning students, or super-cheesy arrangements of praise songs.

Thanks
Heather
Joseph Noelliste

Re: Hymn arrangements/preludes for piano?

Post by Joseph Noelliste »

Hi Heather!
I definitely understand your frustration with finding hymn arrangement for piano that have some musical integrity and inventiveness. I tackle this issue often and I'd like to suggest that you take a listen to two of my recent arrangements of "Be Thou My Vision" and "For the Beauty of the Earth". The first pits the hymn melody against a faster moving, celtic infused countermelody and the second ventures into extensive reharmonization and distant key areas. I haven't attempted a fugal treatment on a hymn theme to date though...
You can hear an extended preview at the media player: www.jnoelliste.com. If you are interested in the sheet music, just send me an email at jnoelliste@gmail.com. I'm not sure if these are the sort of arrangements you are looking for, but, I'd be happy for you to check them out and send any feedback my way :)

Joseph Noelliste
Solo Pianist and Composer
www.jnoelliste.com
jnoelliste@gmail.com
heatherreichgott
regular poster

Re: Hymn arrangements/preludes for piano?

Post by heatherreichgott »

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for sharing your work here. I am happy to have found these! And I'll keep an eye out for your future publications too :)
Heather