Need help finding a certain Hungarian piano piece

Moderator: kcleung

kere
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Need help finding a certain Hungarian piano piece

Post by kere »

Hi guys. I'm trying to find a certain piano piece:

The song has a fairly longish hungarian name (has 'festival' somewhere in it but I'm not too sure), and it's by a hungarian composer. Not Liszt or Bartok, rather something more obscure that I've never heard of. The song is rather long (maybe 10 pages) and is very difficult.

I know this is very limited information but if this sounds familiar to anyone it'd be awesome :D
jossuk
active poster

Re: Need help finding a certain Hungarian piano piece

Post by jossuk »

For starters: is it really a solo piano piece, or is it a vocal piece with piano accompaniment? (I'm guessing the former, but calling a solo piano piece a "song" always muddies the waters.)
How do you know it's Hungarian? (A Hungarian title with "festival" in it doesn't quite compute.) And where have you heard it: a recital, recording, etc.? Played by whom?
Every tidbit of information helps others to be helpful...
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Are you absolutely sure it isn't Liszt's 9th Hungarian Rhapsody, the Carnival in Pest? It is quite difficult, but also longer than 10 pages.

--Sixtus

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usi ... 244.09.pdf
HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by HonkyTonk »

So little to go on! Could it be that the composer isn't Hungarian? If so, I'll make a tentative suggestion that it might be Smetana's "Peasant festival" (sometimes the original title is translated as something else, "Harvest Home" being another translation ) which is a fairly difficult piano piece around 5 minutes in length. (there's a recording by Gilels on You Tube of the piece. Worth listening to even if it's not the one you're after!)