Beethoven's metronome markings

Moderator: kcleung

HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Beethoven's metronome markings

Post by HonkyTonk »

Could anybody help by telling me all the works that Beethoven added metronome markings to or direct me to a web article which lists them?
jossuk
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Beethoven's metronome markings

Post by jossuk »

HonkyTonk
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by HonkyTonk »

Thanks for the links. The first one seems to be just the sort of thing I was looking for.
M.J.E.
regular poster

Post by M.J.E. »

Is there any truth in the idea I read many years ago (in a now-forgotten source) that, for many years, Beethoven's metronome was faulty and ran too fast, and he didn't know it, so that most of his metronome markings can not be relied on?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

M.J.E. wrote:Is there any truth in the idea I read many years ago (in a now-forgotten source) that, for many years, Beethoven's metronome was faulty and ran too fast, and he didn't know it, so that most of his metronome markings can not be relied on?
I thought his markings were usually said to be unexpectedly fast; but if his metronome ran too fast, wouldn't that have caused him to write slower markings than he really intended?
M.J.E.
regular poster

Post by M.J.E. »

It was a long time ago I read it, so I might have got details wrong. Maybe Beethoven's metronome ran too slow rather than too fast; and, in any case, I didn't remember whether the markings were generally considered too slow or too fast anyway - just that their reliability was suspect (according to my source).
     I was just wondering whether this is a well-founded view or not.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

If you research Beethoven's metronome markings, you will find at least a few interesting presentations regarding the subject.