MIDI sound levels

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

MIDI sound levels

Post by Eric »

I've had a problem in which (sorry, horrrrrible grammar) MIDIs (esp.- but not only- of Renaissance music) downloaded from IMSLP (right-click #n-link, save to disk, convert to mp3 file, synchronized with iPod, &c) would sometimes play at a remarkably low sound level compared with not only items downloaded from other sources (my regular CD collection, many "normal" performances on IMSLP, &c) but- well, anyway, a remarkably low basic sound level, anyway...

Had been wondering what to do about this, save asking each file-creator if they could consider redoing the files at a higher average volume, somehow.
It seems, however, that at least on some user-end systems, the solution may be much simpler after all. I haven't really experimented at length, but --

While visiting an Apple Store on Long Island (while visiting family) very recently for other reasons, I saw a tip fly by on their screen suggesting modifying an iTunes preference- setting "Sound Check", which I hadn't tried. So, I try this, more recently. On first sound-glance, it seems to be working very well.

I can't speak to whether or not, while increasing the volume level of some files, it might maybe decrease the dynamic range of others (*cough*really, really, really well-recorded Mahler symphonies*cough*) (though since I have everything compressed to about 130k, I probably won't notice that myself, alas. Tin ear much? Erm. Hush, Eric.)

Anyway. On the off-chance anyone here is using iTunes, and has had trouble hearing some of those files after downloading for easy rehearing, maybe that "Sound Check" under preferences (on a Mac; I am assuming something similar exists if you are using PC iTunes) might help; worth a try...

ES
wrshannon
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: MIDI sound levels

Post by wrshannon »

If I read right, you want to 'normalize' the recordings. This brings the overall level to maximum without compressing the dynamic range. Audacity does this in Effects, or you can drag the file to Garage Band and create a new one in the Share menu, changing the format (or not) as you wish. In MIDI (not audio files) you can adjust the track volume, but the problem is more likely in the 'velocity' (how hard the keys are struck) settings for the notes. These often default to 64 (mf) and can be brought up, but is a pain.