Engraving Contest

Moderator: kcleung

Schneidy
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Engraving Contest

Post by Schneidy »

We'd like to invite Finale/Sibelius users to participate in an engraving contest together with Sibelius/Finale, LilyPond, Musescore and others!

Please see : Although the contest is organized by LilyPond users, this is not an attempt to prove that LilyPond is better than other notation software !
We're sure that LilyPond will fail at some tasks, and that this will be an opportunity for *everyone* to learn from each other.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Engraving Contest

Post by coulonnus »

The Git repository seems unpleasant. Couldn't there be an imslp work page to submit our "candidate scores"?
Schneidy
regular poster

Post by Schneidy »

Sounds a good idea.
I'll relay your question and keep you informed.
Cheers,
Pierre
Schneidy
regular poster

Post by Schneidy »

Here's Janek reply :

I'm sorry, but we don't have enough resources to manage another means of submitting scores. However, as written in the instructions, if you really don't want to use Git you can send us your submission via email.

I assure that using Git is the most professional way of collaborating possible, and despite its apparent unfriendliness it's worth learning (as we have experienced ourselves in a big, real-life project). At this very moment we're finishing a paper on this topic, and Urs had written several posts about it on "Scores of Beauty" blog (for example http://lilypondblog.org/2014/01/why-use ... ng-scores/).
In fact, participating in this contest is a good opportunity to learn version control - we have spent *a lot* of time on streamlining the process and preparing a friendly user guide, and we're willing to help if you run into trouble.

We hope that later in the discussion of contest results the benefits of version control will become obvious.

best wishes,
Janek