Plug-in for iMac

Moderator: kcleung

hoosierspud
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Plug-in for iMac

Post by hoosierspud »

I can no longer access MIDi files on my new iMac. Dose anyone know a work-around for a plug-in?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Plug-in for iMac

Post by KGill »

Very little idea what you mean by that. You're saying you can't see links to MIDI files on this site (or others), or they just won't play? Did you try opening them in an external program (i.e., not within your browser)?
wrshannon
regular poster

Post by wrshannon »

You can install QuickTime Player 7. If you control-click the download button and save the MIDI file, you will (likely) be prompted to install QuickTime Player 7 when you double-click to open the file.
hoosierspud

Post by hoosierspud »

Sorry for not being more specific (and also not real tech savvy). I have Apple OS X, 10.9.2. Apple no longer supports QuickTime Player. Is there a work-around?
hoosierspud

Post by hoosierspud »

When I click on the MIDI file I get the message that I am missing a plug-in.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Here's a link to discussions of the subject; it looks as though there may be a solution there.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-o ... files.html
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

that looks like a 4-year-old discussion for an earlier operating system (10.7), but thanks...

interestingly I hadn't even tried to play a MIDI file since upgrading my Mac last week. I wonder if trying to convert them to MP3s using Switch or another program will do the trick, or if that just requires QuickTime and goes from there? Probably the latter; will try it though...

Hrm.

(1) Converting them with Switch does work on my iMac with 10.9.2.
(2) Then again, my still-installed QuickTime Player 7 still works and plays .mp3 and .mid files. The upgrade from 10.7.5 to 10.9.2 didn't delete my existing software, anyway, though not all of it still works... (not a great surprise!- the vast majority of what I've tried, I think, does.) Still- odd. Hrm... Oh. Haven't tried the plugin (but then I almost never use it- I usually save .mid files to disk, I don't try playing them in-browser... even usually true with .mp3s on IMSLP even though that too involves opening up a tab or window and saving IMSLP .mids and .mp3s (and other files too) sometimes crashes my instance of Firefox for reasons I just do not get. I've sent messages the Firefox peoples' way but it could be a more IMSLP-ish problem... even though it only seems to happen when I run Firefox. Go figure...but that is another topic. :) )
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Anyhow, to play a MIDI file most effectively, or really almost anything here, I suggest left/control-clicking it (the #sign that is under it, not the big link - so the linked and underlined #34167 under "I. Allegro", not "I. Allegro", or whatever...) - and opening the page it links to in another window

(or tab...)

then you'll see a link there with a .mid, .mp3, or .html or something in the middle of the screen. Control-click or whatever on -that-, and save it to disc. You can also conveniently sometimes batch-save bunches of things at once (2 or more files at once in one "box"/region on the page) by going to the top right of the box where the bunch of files appear- you'll see a little dropdown menu appear suddenly- click save as ZIP file to save all of them to your drive, rather than having to save them one at a time.